Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the subject says....anyone know what happens? Is it really bad for the engine ro what?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
It doesn't really do anything except restrict airflow, which causes more pressure, than eventually, water get's scuked in, which is where the bad part is, water in engine. Water on the filter can and probably will lead to water being ingested into the engine. Well fuel and oil float on water, so imagine the effect of water in your car. Not a prety sight, when it rains here in california (hopefully for only a few weeks) the stock air box goes back on for me, hell i don't need the extra power anyways, just more dangerous.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Its not that fuel and oil floats on water, but that water isn't compressable. If water goes through the intake, the pistons that usually compress the fuel/air mixture will try to compress the water.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
A puddle splash or even a spray of water (such as going through a no-touch carwash with an under-car wash option) won't likely hurt anything in the engine itself. An engine can actually ingest small amounts of water without damage. Water injection kits exist for cooling combustion on turbo apps and in the old days it was de rigeurfor carbon removal to slowly drip water into the carb and have it flash carbon off the pistons. I don't recommend this nowadays, but it used to be done.

As WickedGin has pointed out, water is not compressible. Large amounts of ingested water will cause large amounts of problems. Driving your car into a deep puddle of standing water (such that the filter and air intake are below the surface of the water) will result in sucking up a damaging quantity of water.

However, a splash from a "normal" puddle won't hurt the motor.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it easy to change from the CAI back to stock air box? I know I should not be very worried in summer time cuz TX is usually drought all summer, but winter comes and rainy wet and crappy weather begins. Can a plastic back be placed over the filter or will that just make no air get in and may be bad for car...?

·
Registered
352 Posts
There is a bypass valve that prevents water from being sucked up into your engine. They tested it on a NSX, and submerged the filter in a bucket of water, water went a foot up the intake but didn't get any in the engine.
Anyway, I am looking for that web site because I just realized I'm scared to drive with my intake in the rain. I know I saw it on here before but just can't find it now.

A

·
0 Posts
I've used a Hotshot cold air intake for over a year and a half. That includes northern VA rain/sleet/snow... the works. I've never had a single negative effect, and I had to drive home in a huge snowstorm MORE than once.

That doesn't mean nothing will ever happen, but my experience is that the CAI is safer than some people make it out to be. I don't have 100% faith in it, especially since I now carry a PRM intake in the trunk. ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I took on water iin my CAI about 2 weeks ago and my car shut off. I was lucky enough to get it cranked back up and swerve through traffic to make it to a gas station.

I opened up the hood and my filter was dripping with water. I took the filter off, sprayed some of my homemade brew through the intake, ran the car for a little while, and with the help of a sock and some duct tape, I made it home.

Now Iv'e fixed it to where I can take the CAI pipe off if it starts raining.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Try leaving your filters above the splash guard.. :)

·
Registered
753 Posts
Im just takeing a guess here, but if you leave you filter above the splash guard you wont take as much air in, if thats a fact then i would rather just throw my stock air box back on in the rain or snow. It only takes 5 minutes!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Scorp165 said:
Im just takeing a guess here, but if you leave you filter above the splash guard you wont take as much air in, if thats a fact then i would rather just throw my stock air box back on in the rain or snow. It only takes 5 minutes!!
you'll be pulling in just as much air, it'll just be hotter.

·
Registered
325 Posts
i actually drove throgh about 2 feet of water with my CAI during a flashflood here in dallas. it did suck water into the engine, and blew out my head gasket. that's the least expensive thing that can happen. my mazda tech said that you will either crack your head or bend a rod if water gets into the combustion chamber. neither one is cheap to fix.

G

·
0 Posts
why outboard engines are up HIGH

as my 87 GrandNational said to me as I drove through a fludded dip during a florida rainstorm, "gulp, CRUNCH!" wanna know what rods cost?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts