Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was truly after a Borla exhaust for my 1992/1993 MX-6 and have been looking around for a very long time but haven't turned up anything. I know it has been discontinued but was hoping I could find some new old stock somewhere (wishful thinking I know). I followed a few leads but was mislead and turned empty. Would also accept the 95/97 system if it is all that is available.

It's been the exhaust I have wanted from ever since I bought the car many years ago but life and circumstances got in the way of getting one and now that I am back I was wondering if anyone has any leads or could suggest any other exhaust systems made for our car are still available these days.

I'm pretty disappointed about the Borla exhaust situation and am in one of those funks right now that's putting my build behind because its at the top of my list and probably the biggest thing I wanted for this car since I got it so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone.
Happy Driving! (y)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it's looking like the only option. I will keep it in mind, if anyone has an old Borla exhaust system gathering dust at home or if they are wreaking their car and have no need for the exhaust system I would definitely be interested in buying it and pay for shipping.

It seems so weird not being able to find one even used. I feel like they sold pretty well and there should be dozens of them around by now but I guess they'd all be at a wrecking yard.

I kind of feel like these types of sales are missed opportunities for Borla... I mean is it really hard for them to manufacture upon demand for their older systems they no longer have on hand. The tips are still available and being manufactured, the pipe is something they could whip up in a short period of time given they make similar pipes for other current systems all they would need to do is look up their internal diagrams cut it to size and mandrill bend it, weld on some flanges. The hardest part would probably be manufacturing the unique muffler part that came with the kit.
I know am probably oversimplifying it a tad but I would think that it would be in their best interest to be able to make money from multiple avenues particularly when all parts are made in house and exhausts are the core of their business... I don't know.

I appreciate the advice.
I feel like if I go with the above option I would probably still not be satisfied until I was able to get the genuine complete Borla Cat-back system. I feel like anything else would have a completely different level of performance and sound resonance.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a real generous offer but we are oceans apart but I live in Australia which makes it pretty hard. Curious... What does the HKS exhaust look like, is it a twin tip exhaust? I have never seen one around or any videos of anyone running one on an MX-6 over the years.

Btw I hope your quest for the Mazdaspeed parts are coming along well. Your car sounds like its going to be awesome when its done. Both mazdaspeed parts and Borla exahust systems seem to be as rare as rocking horse shit these days.
I love the subtle but smooth finish the mazdaspeed kit gives the car, I'm more partial to the stock spoiler though but honestly I have seen some great complete mazdaspeed kitted cars in the past. I hope you get your MX-6 to where you want it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have you looked at Magnaflow? If I ever needed to replace my Borla exhaust, I would order some pipes and either a 14862 or 14830 muffler from Magnaflow and make a custom system. I think the Magnaflow sounds just as good as the Borla.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yeah, back in the very early days when I was looking at exhausts I considered Magnaflow but then found the Borla very soon after. One reason why I like Borla is the way it sounds in comparison, the Magnaflow has a very low end rumble, a kind of drone on idle but seems to open up nicely at higher revs, the Borla seems to be so much for lack of better terms sportier and stealth like. It doesn't have that low end drone on idle and hits that sweet spot on idle then completely opens up on higher revs in an amazing way.

Here is a good old comparison:

You're one of the lucky ones to have a Borla IMHO.

Btw I have seen this custom system with a pipe and Borla muffler but it doesn't sound as good and also the muffler doesn't have the direct twin tip set up like the original Borla cat back system for our cars.

Here is a video of that Borla custom set up.

Thanks everyone for the advice and feedback. I keep obsessively looking around for the Borla Cat-back system, I think I could be on this search for a few years to come. I am still baffled by Borla's decisions, if they could just retire older systems to build upon order it would be great. Older cars are always going to be around and whilst they won't be everyday buys, manufacturing upon order would be a great solution for the system they had already done all the research and development so it would just be a case of looking at the schematics and going from there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts