Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I just hit it with a buffer ?.. Or do you think I should painstakingly strip it with a box cutter blade?
It is all broken up and Sh!ty so it wont peel off …

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
I was able to peel mine, but you can spot where it was as the paint behind it is a tad brighter.

Looks heaps better without it.

We can blame the 80's for damm pinstripes.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Mr. MX6 said:
Should I just hit it with a buffer ? a box cutter blade?
It is all broken up and Sh!ty so it wont peel off …

~"Buffer burns and blade scars"........You could possibly end up with more problems.
I'd try some of the special decal adhesive removers on the market. WD40 or a solvent used carefully may help soften the backing. Perhaps try using a heat gun or hair dryer, along with a plastic edged device to "scrape" the residual tape and goo off.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hey Dude trust me on this one...

Dont put any chemical on your car....

The way to get them off is with, and im being serious here, a hair blow drier......just put the heat onto it and it peel right off...

G

·
Hair dryer

Just hair dry it till it gets hot enough to pull off. Then DW30 should take off all the glue thats left. I have done it to bumper stinkers and a few pin stripes... its worked for me.... good luck

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Maybe I have bootleg pin stripeing??

I can take mine off with my fingers. It just peels up.

Just find some way to peel it off and use that goofgone stuff. It doesnt hurt paint. I used it on my bike when I took off the stickers.

Or WD40 as black6turbo said

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well all the methods probably work after a fashion.. but unfortunately for me the pin striping is UNDER the clear coat. That’s why I couldn’t get the F’N- B to come off.. Thanks any ways guys .. I’ll have to have a think about what I’m going to do now..

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Mr. MX6 said:
Well all the methods probably work after a fashion.. but unfortunately for me the pin striping is UNDER the clear coat. That’s why I couldn’t get the F’N- B to come off.. Thanks any ways guys .. I’ll have to have a think about what I’m going to do now..
Hmmmm, your last option is a product called SOL

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Mr. MX6 said:
but unfortunately for me the pin striping is UNDER the clear coat. That’s why I couldn’t get the F’N- B to come off..
Oh well........back to the buffer or sanding block !

Was it tape or paint......? Maybe just casually lay another camo stripe over the old one, piggy back style. Hah, ha....joking, but not funny. Don't ya just hate those kinda lazy a$$ bodypersons ?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Basically yea, it has had a bodgie repair done on it.. as it is not the same all around the car.. some came off ok .. And unless I am going to respray the car all over I will just have to put a new pin stripe back on.. :(

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea well the final solution is .. .a full respray.. the removal of these little suckers properly is forcing me to fill the dam scars and repaint both the sides .. so since the boot and bonnet has been done I may as well do the roof.. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
it still may not be too late.

How much do you like that colour?

I so much want to change mine to yellow, Despoiled also.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Been there done that. Damn pinstripes. Mine was also under the clearcoat and PURPLE. it had to go. I just scraped it off with a blade and sanded it down. Although I am still doing it and it's half primer, it looks better than purple stripes. :shrug:

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cam22t said:
it still may not be too late.

How much do you like that colour?

I so much want to change mine to yellow, Despoiled also.
That is just the spray filler primer .. im keeping it blue .. If I had been going to paint all of it from the beginning I probably would have gone with something different ..

I do like yellow cars .. like the last of the RX7s, but i dont know if my MX6 will ever be sporty enoughf to pull it off.. but your one is out there..

ill get in to it on saterday.. thanks for all that input guys..

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
I was aware that is was the primer.

As for the Yellow, here is an example

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That looks awesome mate .. but again my car is never going to get mags or a body kit .. it is going to be the bosses daily driver … all be it she loves to go fast..
I started the paint to day..

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
bosse's daily driver

Now that's a sure fire way to get rid of pinstripes !
I see that you're even doing inside the door jambs for the boss. You would'nt want her to dirty her skirt getting in.
Now on to the power, give the girl a little more boost ! That'll put her back into her seat.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts