Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 90 mx6 gt 5 speed and what are some of the first mods i should do...(besides fix the sound system)...to it that would fit a light buget?

thanxs
ratly

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
well i recently got a bone stock mx6 - and my list is (so far, and in this order)

repairs (if needed - ie mine needs timing belt changed, and tranny [email protected])
stereo
rims (i think just a simple change to nice rims changes the entire appearance of a vehicle)
misc (any miscellaneous small crap before i start on the big projects)
Engine - (general tune up - plus a few bolt on goodies.. its getting more expensive now)
Paint - (i am changing the color entirely.. good paint job means $$ so this isnt a "budget" mod lol)

anyways - there are lots of smaller mods to be done, i'm just giving you my list. some other ideas are cold air induction, throttle body upgrade, interior trim upgrades (indiglo?) = im not really sure as i havent gone shopping for them yet.,.. i want to get mine mechanically sound which means a timing belt ASAP and a tranny almost ASAP

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanxs

well it is mechanicaly sound i guess, new exhaust, a/c getting filled tomorrow.....everything else is still in good condition....cuase it is my first car WORTH putting money into....i mean it sounds pretty good stock..(4cyl, 2.2 intercooled turbo)...interior is in pretty good shape except for the radio which goes this weekend...paint is ok...its red....but still ok none the less...i beleive it was a good buy...(4395)........with 130000 miles...it is just i dont know where to start.....

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
i guess it depends on what direction you want to take it first - performance or looks. I think rims are an excellent first start - particularly if you are in the market for new tires (i am - so since i need new tires anyway - i am upsizing the rims and getting tires suited for the new rims, otherwise i would be stuck needing to buy proper sized tires anyways within a few months since i planned on doiung the rims by the winter - gotta bite the bullet i guess)

Im not sure about the 1gen mx6's - but man have fun with that turbo!!!! wish i had one in my 2nd gen :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'd definitely go with new rims first. Then a new suspension, our cars tend to have a "4x4ish" look to them, lowering it a bit gives them a more aggressive stance and much better handling. I would go for those first since you already have a pretty damn quick car :) I wish I had a turbo.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Man, is front royal in canada or someplace where the money rate is high? i paid 1650 for my '88 mazda mx-6 w/ intercooled turbo...

-meaty

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Well I say it depends on what your goals are.

I mean, do you want it to be faster? Handle better? Look better?

For me when I first got the car, my priority was to make it fast and handle good, then worry about appearance. Some people like to go with appearance first. Depends on what you feel is more important.

·
Registered
84 Posts
well the best first mod would be to get it dropped....when i bought my 90 GT from my friend it was lowered 1.75"(i think) and he added some PIAA fogs in front...it gave it a sportier and aggersive look...plus it now looks longer from the side...and change the tires..just the tires..go for some 205/60R/15..(haha get a big tip on your muffler, like mine)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well the pay rate is kinda high here, but i only make $6 an hour but no taxes tooken out so i not worried......the car is in decent shape compared to the rest of my cars i have had in the past.......i am going more along the lines of looks because if insurance finds out i have changed the cars (rate of speed) they might just canacel me...i cant even get a parking ticket.......i mean they are not to many racers out here that drive real cars...not civics...or trucks........only find a few when going on the intersate towards manassas or Fair Fax.........thats why the turbo is just fine...i am just starting to get the power band down...well thanxs for the info

ratly

1 - 10 of 10 Posts