Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Mazda MX6 LS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

What is tank/reservoir called and whats the part number, I believe mine has a small crack in it causing it to spray fluid out when at high pressure,thank you

·
Registered
38 Posts
KL78-15-35X
Tank air separate - is what I am finding from the Mazda online parts. They say discontinued so you will have to do some searching.

·
Registered
1993 Mazda MX6 LS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
KL78-15-35X
Tank air separate - is what I am finding from the Mazda online parts. They say discontinued so you will have to do some searching.
Hey so I found it, it says they have them in stock? I’m gonna order one, but I’m having problems with it, it’s cracking all over more and more, is this a common problem?

·
Super Moderator
2,648 Posts
Hey so I found it, it says they have them in stock? I’m gonna order one, but I’m having problems with it, it’s cracking all over more and more, is this a common problem?
You asking if a plastic car part that is subject to 30 years or heat is cracking and if its a common problem?

·
Registered
1992, Mazda MX-6 2.5L V6
89 Posts
That's a nasty leak you have there from the sounds of it. Definitely put one on order now as I am told they are hard to find. On another note if king6fab makes some great stuff and if he has it available then its worth considering. I don't think he has any in stock at the moment or available to order for manufacturing but he does have stuff available from time to time. I believe his needs to be mounted elsewhere and not in the same spot as the stock one.

·
Super Moderator
2,648 Posts
Idk this is my first car, this is a learning experience for me 😂
Don't worry, we don't eat n00bs around here. Glad you're asking the question though. bottom line, replace all the coolant system hoses, its an easy job.

·
Registered
1993 Mazda MX6 LS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't worry, we don't eat n00bs around here. Glad you're asking the question though. bottom line, replace all the coolant system hoses, its an easy job.
So I should replace not only the air tank thing but all the hoses as well? I know the overflow hose runs through the wall in the drivers side, is that a pain in the ass to change? Or once you get it connected to the overflow you just run it up through the bottom? Also should I drain and burp the system etc ?

·
Registered
242 Posts
For what it is worth, I had a leaking coolant reservoir. As a temporary fix, I decided to take it out, and bath it in epoxy. That was 5 years ago and it is still in the car. If your cracks are not too bad, maybe it will work for you too. As I understand it, coolant only circulates through it when the pressure builds up too high in the cooling system.

·
Registered
1993 Mazda MX6 LS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For what it is worth, I had a leaking coolant reservoir. As a temporary fix, I decided to take it out, and bath it in epoxy. That was 5 years ago and it is still in the car. If your cracks are not too bad, maybe it will work for you too. As I understand it, coolant only circulates through it when the pressure builds up too high in the cooling system.
Which epoxy did you use? And did you cover the holes with something, also mine appears to always leak when I drive no matter what, so that means the pressure is always building up to high, does this mean there’s another problem not just the leaky reservoir?

·
Registered
242 Posts
If you want to try it, just use any 2 stage epoxy where you mix the 2 tubes together. Coat the outside like paint. You may want to do it 2 or 3 times. Then reinstall it in the car, and you will see if it worked or not.

·
Registered
1993 Mazda MX6 LS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you want to try it, just use any 2 stage epoxy where you mix the 2 tubes together. Coat the outside like paint. You may want to do it 2 or 3 times. Then reinstall it in the car, and you will see if it worked or not.
Did you cover the hose fittings/ cap opening with anything? And thank you I have a another one in the way, but I’m gonna do this to the old one still just in case I need a backup, I appreciate the help and suggestions

·
Registered
3 Posts
My petrol tank is weeping, mx6 1992. Need new master cylinder and timing belt M DeV Amphlett member. Need assistance

·
Registered
24 Posts
View attachment 13765
What is tank/reservoir called and whats the part number, I believe mine has a small crack in it causing it to spray fluid out when at high pressure,thank you
Have you checked the pressure cap? Unless you can see the leak, the cap is suspect. A replacement cap is not expensive. And if the cap is not fully tightened, the problem-symptoms are the same.

·
Registered
10 Posts
when my one leaked and was replaced at the dealership (yes few years back), the new tank has a 'fixed' cap on it. Maybe look for a replacement tank number from a slightly later Mazda model

·
Registered
3 Posts
when my one leaked and was replaced at the dealership (yes few years back), the new tank has a 'fixed' cap on it. Maybe look for a replacement tank number from a slightly later Mazda model
Thankyou,I will. My car, is still used by me every day, and I am missing her. Apparently the exhaust pipe runs past this area, and is highly dangerous. Thankyou for your suggestion. Now I just need to find a master cylinder and timing belt. expensive exercise but she is certainly worth it. You just see this model on the road anymore, and they are incredible,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts