Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the little orange light that is shaped like an engine,right beside the bright lite indicator andwhat dose it mean when it comes on i drive a 94 ls v6 5speed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The light you are reffering to is the check engine light. The light comes on when the ECU detects something out of the norm. To determine what the problem is, you can do a diagnostic to pull out the ECU code(s). Check probetalk.com or the mx6 bulliten board and search for engine check light, there you can find the procedure for pulling the codes and explanations of each code. Hope that helped.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
light

my check engine ligth comes on a lot also, i am not sre what is wrong with it. i checked prices for oxygen sesors, and they are $170.00 a piece and our cars need two of them

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
From Julian's Page

For cars with CEL (eg, US cars):

Items required:
6" of cable, insulated, preferably solid core of 2.5mm^2.
Method
1. Open the hood/bonnet and locate the black oblong diagnostic connector behind the battery with the word "DIAGNOSTIC" written in raised type on the top.

2. Opening this connector, inside the lid is a map of the pins contained within, it is possible to scope O2 sensors and various other systems from here but we will be limited to code reading here.
Locate the terminals called TEN & GND, notice there is a B+ terminal nearby which must not be touched even by strands of wire as it is a 30A feed from the battery.

3. Ensure the ignition is OFF, the parking/hand-brake is applied and the gearbox is in neutral.

4. Take a piece of Insulated wire, around 2.5mm^2 and strip off 1cm of insulation from each end and form it into a loop. Solid wire is preferred.

5. Connect this jumper-hoop across the connections labled GND & TEN. Ensure no other connectors are joined and no strands are wandering about if stranded wire is used.

6. Turn the ignition to ON but do not start the car, watch the CEL as it flashes out any codes. If it does not flash confirm the connections, if still not flash then you have no codes stored.

7. Codes are flashed out according to the lowest code first, and repeated after a pause of 4 seconds. The format is akin to morse code, in that a short flashes represent 1s and longer flashes 10s. Thus flashes of -- -- - - - - would represent a code of 24 which is common around 60k miles and is the rear O2 sensor. This is the most common cause of CELs.

8. To clear codes, disconnect the negative battery terminal for 2 minutes with a door left open or apply the brakes.

9. Turn the Ignition to OFF before removing the leads and ensure when removing no other connections are touched.

10. If more than one code is present, it can be worth clearing all codes and then checking them again to see which are re-occuring. It is not uncommon for sporadic codes to appear under certain fault conditions, before spending money on any components other than O2 sensor or TPS (code 12) codes should be confirmed.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Check my web-site, under "Malf Codes". Works on 1993-1995 PGTs, MX6 V6s etc.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
my light comes on alot too, but when i got it the guy said it is a senor but i dont worry about it it runs good but i should get it check out soon i dont want something to be wrong and my engine give out on me

·
Registered
488 Posts
Any time the check engine light comes on you should worry about it. If it gives you an O2 code, which is the most common, hten you need to replace the O2 sensors. If you don't the car will run rich and eventually destroy the cat. causing a rotten egg smell and blocking you exhaust. Either follow the links given above, the info Jorge posted from Julian's site or use the 'SCPOC' link in my signature. All of them will tell you how to pull the codes and what they are for the 93-95 cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts