Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been like this for a while now but now its getting really cold up he in Minnesota and I wanna fix it. My heater works on 1, 2, and 3, but when i put it on 4 it just shuts off.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Sounds like a resistor pack. Do you know the location of the blower motor?

If you dont, try this. Go over to the passenger side of the car. Under the glove box there is that little black trim shield piece. Take that out. Then look back in there. On the far right, next to the side of the car, you will see the white blower motor. On the left side of it, right by where the carpet ends, you will see a small black piece held into the side of the motor by 2 small screws. It should have 2 wire connectors connected to it. Take out the screws and carefully remove that piece. It is the resistor pack. When you get it out, examine the coils for anything broken, you might see one. If this sounds confusing, dont worry, it's really simple. If it turns out to be the resistor pack then you may be able to get one from the junkyard or in the for sale forum. Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Either resistor pack is not functioning properly or the dash switch is worn out.

The resistor pack located behind the glovebox; you have to remove the glove box and undercover to get to it. Very common problem. Can be replaced or repaired. I believe the highest speed is controlled with an external wire...maybe you should check that out. Either order a new one from mazda or check the green wire loop for damage. Here's a picture of it (under resistor assembly):

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
wow you seem to be all about scanning and posting. Your really helping people out.

I was going to say that it was too clean to be a scan, but i noticed some grime at the bottom.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Yeah, I bought the workshop manual used. I think it came from a mazda dealership. Looks like this page has been referenced before :)

I actually already had that scanned from a past post.

G

·
If it turns out to be the resistor pack, Mazda wants $140 for it, but I have one out of a parts car I'll sell you for $35 shipped.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the help this was the problem. The junkyard wants only $2.50 for it. So i will go pick that up. Thanks

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
resistor pack

Get a couple at that price while at the junkies. It appears as though you could make a good return on your money, hah....ha !

G

·
magik8 said:
I know for a fact that it is not $140. Probably less than half of that.
Thats what I was quoted from Paar Mazda of Bremerton (Closest Mazda dealer to me). Of course, it was over the phone and he might have pulled up the wrong part.

I told him no F'ing way and pocketed one from a junky the next day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts