Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another cutting edge post from Mr. MX6 :D
Any way... for me It would have to be third ..

First is to short
Seconds OK, no real thrill thou
I just love the way my MX6 pulls in third!
Forth is a bit long
And fifth… well fifth should only be used on open roads right?
BTW this is my 200th post ;)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
1st: Too short, but lots of torque. Great for wheels spins :D
2nd: This would be my favorite. Pulls great all the way to 90km/h. When I start to pull away from other cars })
3rd: Another strong contender })
4th: Crusing gear. Just right
5th: Only for long straights or open road

The best rev range I like is around 4300 on both 1st,2nd and 3rd just when VRIS 2 opens. You can really feel it when it pushes you back in your seats.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Verry good fred
Hey Fred did you get your 6 fixed up or did thay pay you out?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
she's getting fixed soon.....the insurance is wainting on police report and should have gotten it on friday or get in on monday/tuesday.....i HOPE the work on her will start by the end of the week

·
Registered
621 Posts
I like second but I think it's just a bit long...

Change from 1st to 2nd needs to be done too high (7k) in order to match the power of the next gear - which lands you into 2nd at about 4.1k - just shy of 2nd butterfly opening - which is where the power really starts.

2nd to 3rd is a bit close - with a change at about 6.3k landing you at about 4.3k.

And really 100kmh in 2nd is a bit much - so i'd prefer a couple of cogs out of 2nd and then it would be awesome.

For day to day driving around town, I'd be happy to stay in 2nd all day (except for engine wear and fuel economy) :)

I love sitting at 60km in 2nd with a passenger - they don't realise your in such a low gear because you can't really hear the engine - but when you put the foot down..... whooosh! :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
3rd gear, somewhere between 3000 and 5500 rpm. })
:E

·
Registered
342 Posts
has to be 3rd gear
1st-just spins
2nd spins for around 2 sec then hooks up-defin an action gear
3rd-pulling gear. perfect for cruising in the mountains or to initiate a highway race then grab........
4th- pulls nearly as hard as in 3rd but with heaps more speed:)
5th- sort of a cruising gear-maby a tad to short, but to overtake i never need to change down-just get on some boost!:D

·
Registered
362 Posts
depending on the situation, 2nd or 3rd.

2nd in town, 60-80 zones. just love it when your behind someone that's always 10k's under the speed limit, leave it in secone at 50-60, and at the first bit of clear road, or even better, 2 lane roundabout, floor it.

3rd on the highway, behind a caravan at 85, drop it to 3rd, floor to 6500rpm, jam it into 4th, realise your going now going 145, slip into 5th and coast down to the cruise control at 110. i drove 3 friends to cairns and back this weekend, about 700k's round trip, and the said the smile on my face during overtakes was comical :)

oh, and what ric was saying about 2nd at 60, the first time i let one of my friends drive my car, he was cruising down the road at 60 for about 3 minutes before i said to him "you realise your still in 2nd?" love the stealth factor when your not on it :p

·
Registered
233 Posts
Paddy was test driving a new Jag on the motorway.

Salesman "How'd ya go"

Paddy "I couldn't get it over 50mph"

What gear were you in?

Paddy "My work jacket and boots, same as usual"

(I'm not predudiced-substitute Pommie if you like)

"Grow Dope - plant an Aussie".

:)

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Favourite gear

I think it has gotta be 2nd or 3rd. 3rd is nice but by the time it is really going you are gunna be doing well over the speed limit almost everywhere, so i gotta say that 2nd is about the best as it is probably the most used in my case, although spin can be a problem.

Tim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts