Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what kind of gasoline does everyone run in their GT's?? i have been running 93 octane because i heard the higher the octane the better for turbo engines. is this correct? what does the lower actane gas do to the turbo? can anyone explain any of this?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I use 92 from Shell or 93 from Sunoco. The higher octane is for the emissions equipment in the GT engines. It doesn't hurt the turbo because the turbo comes before combustion. Check it out in your owner's manual...which says 91 octane or better.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Taylor's correct, the owner's manual specifically states that the use of 91 or higher octane is recommended for the GT.

In addition to the increased oxygenation properties of a higher octane fuel, the higher the octane, the slower the air/fuel charge will burn/explode. This will inhibit or all out prevent predetonation.

·
Registered
287 Posts
And it will also get rid of that annoying engine knock...

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I've found out before, when my Dad once put the wrong fuel in my car, that it doesn't run so good. The computer retards the timing and slows it down quite a bit. I've always used the highest octane at the pump.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well here in Iceland we only have 95 and 98 octane gas, I have used 98 on my car, and it works wonders compared to the 95, wouldn´t really like to use anything else!! Looking to get some aircraft fuel later on....

·
Registered
666 Posts
I used some leaded 120 octane racing gas one day. I have a gutted cat, so, no worries there. I don't know that it ran all that much better, but, it was cool. The gas is BLUE, and the exhaust smelled funny. Oh well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts