Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey im new to this sight, I have a 94 mx-6 2.5L so far Ive done K&N intake, cat back exhaust, and sparkplugs for engine mods. I was womdering what would be the best next step to do for performance. I am a poor college student so money has alot to do with it thanks for your expertise I was thinking headers but itll take a bit of time to save up the money anything till then I can do.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Search this site "Free mods" there are a few, banjo bolt mod for one. I'm in the same boat with you as far as mods and money goes. On thing i did do was paint my calipers...looks cool. I also got clear side markers, cheap www.corksport.com

good luck

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Banjo bolt mod is free
If you simply have a K&N filter, build a CAI. There's plenty of people that have. Search home depot CAI or HD CAI and I'm sure you'll turn up some threads detailing it and maybe some pics.
Coning your TB is a freebie.
Aside from that, you could pull your IM and port that as well as you can. Good luck.

·
Registered
282 Posts
a lot of people pay way too much for thermal spacers
you can buy the G10 plastic (phenolic) and make your own for under ten bucks
get a gasket and use it for a template
then do the final grind with it on your im while porting that
inexpensive mods and real hands-on
cooler than store bought

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Don't do a Home Depot CAI, it is obsolete.

I don't know why people never look at the how to section or else they would have seen my Prelude CAI how to.

It is cheaper and looks much better than most (not all) DIY specials.

Coning your TB is not beneficial on the KL, there has been a few tests and dyno runs and they have all proved that coning has no effects whatsoever on the KL.

You can however put on a Test Pipe if you have not since that will give you a few more ponies to play with.

A cheap mod is relative, what do you consider cheap? A ZE or Millenia IM will net you a good 10hp over stock and headers will do the same. They both cost about the same amount of money.

You can also slap on a new clutch and Mx3 (the V6 GS model) flywheel to make the car put it down better.

But before any of that have your car up and running in good shape. Change everything that can go wrong on the car. You should spend about as much on mods as you do on maintenance. Go and get some synthetic oild if you haven't: Redline, Royal Purple and Amsoil are the best, Mobil 1 if you have to ocmpromise (not a true synthetci anymore.) Get some Redline MT-90 if you have an MTX. The oil change alone will do wonders for your engine if you have not been keeping up proper maintenance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the advice the website had a lot of pissible stuff I could do next i think I'll go for the synthetic oil right away since Im do for an oil change anyway after that I'll probably get headers and move my filter to where the battery is now(easier to make an air box there plus option of cold air through the hood) and put the battery in the trunk. any other good places to buy the headers and what type would be good?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
juvenile2k3 said:
thanks for all the advice the website had a lot of pissible stuff I could do next i think I'll go for the synthetic oil right away since Im do for an oil change anyway after that I'll probably get headers and move my filter to where the battery is now(easier to make an air box there plus option of cold air through the hood) and put the battery in the trunk. any other good places to buy the headers and what type would be good?
Thinking synthetic? Think Amsoil...

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
roaddigitydogg said:
a prelude cai cheaper than a home depot cai? hmmm
You can get alot of CAI on ebay now really cheap. If you consider the fact that you're gonna need to buy a cone filter of some sort anyway, it may be just as cheap. Lude CAIs can go for 35 bucks on ebay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts