Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
I run mobile1 full synthetic, some people run royal purple, and some run some other synthetic, conventional, or synthetic conventional blend. Just run the correct viscosity of a decent brand oil.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
what was used in it before? if it was synthetic stick with sunthetic, if it was normal oil I personally run Castrol GTX 5w-30 it had normal oil all its life so there is no way I am switching it to synthetic

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
if you start using synthetic now and it wasn't used before it will remove buildup in some spots and in gaskets and such and could create leaks that you didn't have before

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
unless of course you have new gaskets installed :p

if you start using synthetic now and it wasn't used before it will remove buildup in some spots and in gaskets and such and could create leaks that you didn't have before

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
that's not entirely true. :shrug:

in any case, use what the manufacturer recommends: 5w30. as for the type, conventional or synthetic, that depends on your preference. as for brand, someone already mentioned that people like amsoil, royal purple, red line, mobil1, and other synthetic brands.

i can't recommend a conventional brand because none of my cars use it. as for which synthetic, i've used them all and nowadays i stick to royal purple. main reason is that i can buy it in a 12-bottle case. :p

·
Registered
692 Posts
Castrol GTX 5w-30 thats what I run.

Either 10W30 or 5W30

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have an old engine, and switching to synthetic gave me no problem whatsoever.

I used to run Castrol GTX 5W30, but now I run Mobil 1 full synthetic 5W30. I see you are located in Florida, and not Canada, where 5W is highly recommended in the winter.. :p

Any of the recommended about should be just fine.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Does your car burn oil? I would stick to conventional if you are replacing any loss between oil changes, otherwise I would switch to synthetic.

·
Registered
79 Posts
what was used in it before? if it was synthetic stick with sunthetic, if it was normal oil I personally run Castrol GTX 5w-30 it had normal oil all its life so there is no way I am switching it to synthetic
X2 i agree i use 5w30 gtx also. use what the owner before you used.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts