Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as above

what weight oil is everyone using, ive been using comma euro lite 10-40w semi for the last 6 oil changes in the 1 year ive owned the car.

but ive been reading that in our owners manuals (i dont have one :cry: ) it says that we should use 5 - 30w fully synth???

could someone clarifi this please

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
I use 5w30 year round in all my vehicles (4 wheel vehicles anyways). It's Amsoil Full Synthetic 25k mile 5w30.

I doubt the manual says Full Synethetic considering how uncommon Synthetic was back when these cars were made.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think i might as well stay with the comma 10-40w semi as i can get 5l for £5and the oil filters only £1.92 + vat:tup: .

is there any advantage of using 5-30w?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
From what I've read, it's best to use the proper Mazda oil filters as there is a non return valve built into them, this isn't present on the aftermarket ones. At around £7 each, it's not gonna break the bank.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Heckler said:
From what I've read, it's best to use the proper Mazda oil filters as there is a non return valve built into them, this isn't present on the aftermarket ones. At around £7 each, it's not gonna break the bank.
The genuine mazda ones use these valves to ensure that oil gets to your HLA's (etc) quicker on start-up by keeping some of the oil pressure while the engine is off.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Heckler said:
Just about every filter (other than the cheapest orange Fram one) has this valve, just look at the package.

The valve is called an "anti-drainback valve".

·
Registered
822 Posts
best piece of advice i was ever given about oil was that if you drive your car fast and hard, treat it to the best you can afford. but if your a doodler then a normal to manafactors prec is fine. so on that basis i use a fully synthetic one and change it about every every 6000, even though manufactor says its good for twice that!

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
www.blackstone-labs.com - Get your oil tested to know how well it's holding up. If you can go further on your oil, there's no reason not to. However, you may be going too far even at 6k miles.

I go 7k miles in my 1g even though the oil is said to last 25k miles. I get it tested and know I don't have any abnormal bearing wear or any other wear to worry about.

My gf's LS goes 5k miles and we've had it tested, perfect shape as well.

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Service interval is 6K miles... (9K on later models) dunno why?

but I change at 3 - 4 K using a fully synthetic oil..

I know that synthetic oil lasts longer... but so will my engine with changing more frequently..

John

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Einstein said:
I know that synthetic oil lasts longer... but so will my engine with changing more frequently..
Are you trying to suggest it will last longer than getting it tested to find if you can use it longer will?

I suggest that your method will likely last less time as when the engine gets older if a bearing starts to wear abnormally as an oil test will show copper or bronze and give you a warning to begin changing your oil more frequently.

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
I think you misread what I meant...

Although synthetic oil is supposed to last longer... I still change my oil at 3-4 K miles regardless of condition..

John

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Fastest95PGT said:
www.blackstone-labs.com - Get your oil tested to know how well it's holding up. If you can go further on your oil, there's no reason not to. However, you may be going too far even at 6k miles.
You send your oil down to Ft Wayne, IN from Mass. to get it tested???

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Yes, in a little tube. The samples kits are free. So all you pay is the actual test and $1.32 to mail it, not whatever you use to sample it with.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Amsoil does testing as well, so I'm not sure if they do BC or Canada testing but they might be more likely to. I just don't use Amsoil since I use Amsoil oil and wouldn't want anyone to question the validity of the results as biased.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts