Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some new tyres to go on my 16x6 Protege Rims that I picked up a few weeks ago.

Not sure where I should put on 195's or 205's? Willing to pay good money for rubber that will grip (...and save my ass if I ever do anything stupid!)

Any recommendations???

·
Registered
610 Posts
You want more grip, go the widest you can, go for 205's they will be good, anything under and it will be crap handling.

Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
205....the way to go

i got the es100's yokohama......."and i just wanna say ill never look back"........the best griping types,...."but there not cheap!, thats all im gonna say

·
Registered
164 Posts
i heard some gr8 things about Nankang NS2 (not NS)

price is good, and supposed to stick like glue. i'm tryin them in a few months

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Whatever you do, don't buy Yoko 359's. They're my current tyre and they're truely crap. My last set of Falkens were good, but the best gripping tyre I've had is the Goodyear F1's, exspensive but almost handle as well in the wet as they do in the dry. I'm waiting for the last mm of tread to peel off these Yoko butter tyres & I'll prolly go back to falken.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Definately go at least a 205....

The first thing most SP20 owners do is remove the standard 195's and put a good set of 205's on.

Pete

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hey dude,

Try and find the Bridgestones the cops use. I paid top dollar for those for my VT and yeh, they cost an arm and a leg, but man, those things grip like crazy, and I mean they GRIP!

I try over and over to really get them to break traction and the only time I can get it to is if I really, really fang it, and in a supercharged car, you'd think it's easy to make enough grunt to make the tyres spin, not these babies!

I'll have a look on the tyres when I get home. I think they're BF39somethings and cost me $1400 all up (let you know the size of my rims as well as some sort of guidance).

Let you know soon

Regards

Zako

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input guys

I'm looking to spend up to $220. Anything more and it better be a damn good product!

I was originally thinking Dunlop Sport 3000's- they have a high speed rating and come as std on Falcon GTs I think. I'm open to any good suggestions so keep the info coming!

Only concern with 205's is that they may look crap on a 16x6 - look like off-road tyres in being too wide for the rims??

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
205s wont fit properly on 16x6. they need at least 6.5 preferably 7s. try to get lower profile tyres if you reckon you need to get 205s. that will reduce the 'off-road tyre' look. about 40 - 50

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Something to consider would be that your rolling diameter will be smaller than stock with 45s. My 205 50 16 yokis are 2mm smaller than stock. A quick finger calculation............45s will be 10.25mm smaller than mine.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
ive always found falken 205's to be the best value for money. it is not too expensive and a very good tyre.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have read you should match tyre width to rim width. Meaning 6" wide rim use 6" wide tye, not 7". hmmmm so the widest tyre I can go huh?. what 265's on my 16x7's? or maybe 225's on my 14x6's.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well thanks for all the info guys

I got the tyres on Saturday. Without knowing 100% what I was paying for, for the extra money I settled for Falkens- $169 each. I did ask about the cop tyres- Bridgestones about $280 each.

THe 205/50's don't look too wide on the 6" rims in my opinion. Although the front ones do squish a good bit under the extra weight of the front-end.

PeterD- the 205/45's would have actually created about a 5% error in the speedo.... which isn't really all that much I guess. I might think about the lower profile 45's when the car is lowered and the 50's are worn-out.

I'm really happy with the final look of the car with the Protege rims- the 5 slotters make the back of the car look so much more tidy.

I'm getting some suspension work done this week and some Eibach Pro-kit springs are being put in. Cant wait to package by end of the week.

Mazz22T- Aint got a digi-cam yet. When I do I will try and post a few snaps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts