Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im either thinking about selling it and buying either a notherone, or a 88-91 prlude si 4ws,91 240sx or a 91 sentra ser? what should i do?

That or keep my 88gt, rip out the interior buecase its all wet and geting moldey, then keep the back seats and stuff out and put in racing seats, new clutch, do all the maintace and lower it,

any ideas here? or get a new f2t or maybe evern a fe3

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
theres so much good in these cars.... it would be a pity to let go... IMO - DONT
keep the car man
im keepign mine and its completly stock ... for now
and its not even a GT?!

·
Registered
737 Posts
if you're handy and you want a quick car. Keep the 6, it's a good car and fun to modify. The sentra and the prelude are IMO junk. The 240sx is a good car, but it's n/a and would take a little more work to make fast. There is a lot out for the prelude and the 240. But the 6 is a better car. You can probably find cheap replacement interior cheap and the junk yard.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what are the reasons for the prelude and sentra being junk? jus curious

thanx

what do u guys think about gutting the interior?

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
WAGON said:
what do u guys think about gutting the interior?
Lighter car:
  • accelerate quicker
  • turn easier
  • stop quicker
  • break fewer drive train parts
  • tires last longer
  • brakes last longer
  • wheels bearings last longer
  • tie rod ends/steering components last longer
  • suspension parts flex less, break less, last longer
  • better fuel mileage
  • etc
  • etc

What's not to like about it (unless that's where you and your lovely do the sweaty stuff)? You'll find it somewhat noisier. Quite a bit noisier, actually.

Is this for the street?

Illswyn said:
4ws on the prelude, i hear, is problematic
About 7,000 times simpler than 4WS, Mazda-style. The Honda 4WS is strictly mechanical; Mazda's is electronic/hydraulic/mechanical. My ex had a 4WS Prelude (the third of 4 Preludes she's owned). She had no problems whatsoever with 4WS; many, many problems with headlights and rust.

G

·
SleepCounter said:
About 7,000 times simpler than 4WS, Mazda-style. The Honda 4WS is strictly mechanical; Mazda's is electronic/hydraulic/mechanical. My ex had a 4WS Prelude (the third of 4 Preludes she's owned). She had no problems whatsoever with 4WS; many, many problems with headlights and rust. [/B]
I've had the pleasure of working on the 3rd gen Preludes. Personally, I don't know whats not to like about them besides the rust issues.

The only thing I really don't like is the dual carb setup I encountered on a '87 Prelude.

One of these days I'm going to pick up a 5th Gen 'lude as a daily driver.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I guess by junk I mean the obvious rust issue with the prelude, I've yet to see one if decent shape. The sentra might not be "junk" itself but I was meaning the 240sx would be the better choice between the 2. Again this is just from my experience and thus it's only my opinion. Like SleepCounter said, I have heard the 4ws is much simpler of a set-up, I have'nt heard bad things about the drive train, just the body decay.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
240 means RWD, so of the choices (if you don't keep the 6) I'd have to say a drift car would be fun as hell. just my opinion though. My next car/project will either be a Miata or a 97-98 240SX.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there a good after market for the 88-91 3rd gen ludes?

so it s a good idea to gut my idea i take, yes this will be my daily driver and for street use, have no back seet dosnt worry me at all, jus less people to drive around.. what should i take out of the interior and what should i leave?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
If you REALLY want to gut your interior, remove ALL seats, then the entire center console, then ALL carpeting. Under that is sound deadening material, remove that too. There is probably black hard stuff stuck to the floor as well, dry ice and a hammer.chisel will remove that. When ALL of that is gone, re-install drivers' side seat. You will have no seats, no center console, and bare metal floors. I'd recommend painting the floor when done b/c it's gonna be ugly as sh*t from scraping it. You can remove the headliner as well and both door panels if you wish.
This is how I had my Protege (1992 DX) when I raced it.
PS: Same goes for the trunk for the black stuff under the carpet.

·
Registered
90 Posts
WAGON said:
Im either thinking about selling it and buying either a notherone, or a 88-91 prlude si 4ws,91 240sx or a 91 sentra ser? what should i do?
Keep the 6. Their numbers are shrinking in terms of availablity - especially the GTs(in other words they're rare). People stop by my house a lot to ask if they could buy my 626 GT. I can tell you this much...ALL of them once owned a GT one time or another in the past....and all regret of ever letting it go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts