Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

i will have around 5-10 grand around May this year and i want to know what u think i should do to my 89 mx6 auto, basically stock car?

thanks

ryan

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Sell it and buy a manual.

·
Registered
105 Posts
f2turbo said:
Sell it and buy a manual.
:p

No offense ryan, but i actually found that quite funny. :D

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
seriously tho bro, lets say youve got 5 grand to spend, get the stock ecu re-written get a suitable bb turbo, something like a s15 t28 and have an adaptor plate made to fit it on the stocker manifold which you should get match ported. Get the head ported and a larger fmic with metal piping, a 2.5-3inch zorst from turbo back and a fuel pressure regulator to bump the injectors up to about 90% of their cycle and then have the whole lot dynoed by a reputable shop. Something like that anyway, should see AROUND 110-120kw atw, which is enough to get yourself a good reputation.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
5 grand could easily do what you have said but do count on finding other things needing replacment.
I've spent as much on Mods as I have repairing worn and broken bits, & I'm still going.

Do note if you start to put more power into the auto it only hold for so long. Any abuse and it will not last as long.

·
Registered
461 Posts
If you get an aftermarket ecu with an after market bb turbo (like vf22, what ive got) and front mount you should b making over 150kw atw with fuel and exhaust upgrades.I got 165kw(220hp) atw on 12psi with a restrictive 2,5' exhaust with the vf22.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for your ideas,

i think i'm ganna sell this car to my bro in december and start fresh with a stock manual mx6, pref 90,91, and go from there. well next friday a drift titanium tipped muffler and 2.5" exhaust is going on for fun.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
If you are selling it either wait until you get a manual car or find a different car (no offence guys).

Money would be best spent on simple mods and maintenance things.

If you driving style warrants and lots of a mods are going to follow an lsd would be a good start. Diffs are a known weak point especially with some driving styles, not to mention traction issues.

After that start with the basics, intake/exhaust. Up the boost, and electronic boost controller would be nice if you are planning to run some big levels in the future.

Computer will start to stand in your way pretty quickly, along with its 12psi boost cut. You can chip the stocker, up to about 15psi or a little more with new fuel pump. Really if you are going to go a new turbo this wouldn't be a smart move as you will need more tuning options.

Stock turbo is also going to be restrictive, personally I am leaving this until after the stock management goes. I really think something like a nice garret GT series would be well suited. Having been in a 626 with a smaller gt25 (320 or 380hp maybe?? ) making 170+kw at the fronts I can say it was a nice turbo, well suited to the car giving it a nice linear and tractible power curve.
That car was running the stock computer with a chiptorque chip, 19psi and stock injectors. Definately on a knife edge between dying anyway!

Really its just going to be like any other turbo car when going for more power.

Also try not to forget suspension and good brake pads along the way. Suspension will also be necessary for straight line stuff too, dont want too much weight transfer away from the front.

ANyway enough for now, I am tired and babbbling.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts