Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 12"infinitys in my car now, and i have two more sitting in my room which i cant seem to sell, so i was just thinking of throwing them into my car aswell but what amp should i get to power them??? i alreadt have a pioneer 800w amp power the first two should i just get another and power the 2nd two?

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
just keep trying to sell the ones your not using.. you've already wasted enough money on this car audio crap.

Seriously.. use your money for something worth while.. not subs and amps and all this other horse crap that has NO resale value and only breaks down in hardly any time at all.

Make sense?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Ouch, Graham...

Some people want to buy and install car stereos... no biggie. Graham, obviously, is not in this camp, and that's fine.

As for your question, you probably are better off just selling the subs anyway. 2 12"s in a car this small is plenty... unless of course you are looking to compete... in which case you may need better equipment anyway.

My guess is that the Inifinitys are probably not moving because they aren't known to be that great for SPL or anything like that, so they are probably not in demand. For this reason, you may need a lower price... what are you selling them for?

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
^ $7-9k later.. and after 12 years I learned from my mistakes.. thats all

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Graham_A_M said:
^ $7-9k later.. and after 12 years I learned from my mistakes.. thats all
lol 7K but mind you his sub sets off car alarms.

Yeah I don't know where you'd start to put 2 more 12's in your car unless you want to loose the backseat. Put them in your house, you have them anyways, get ahold of a transformer or a decent power supply and hook them up to a deck in your house, thats what I'm doing. Fun and you have no reason not to

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
^ yes but car audio subs dont work properly in the house environment.. they need a (almost) sealed environment such as a car to work properly ( or a small closet.... in theory.. why you'd want to do that is beyond me though).. if you put car audio subs in a house.. (unless they meet a certain criteria.. which escapes my memory.. it has to do with the QTS.. and QMS of the sub T/S's.. but I forget the exact requirments) then the subs will never "load" properly... and therefore cannot effectively replicate the lower end frequencies.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Acutally, "car subs" will work fine in a house, as long as they are enclosed properly in both cases. Of course, in a car, the SPL levels will be much higher, since the pressure is kept within the confines of a car, versus your living room.

House speakers tend to be lighter, too, so they run a little more efficiently. There is not as much need for heavier poly cones and other weather-resistant designs in the house. That's another reason house speakers tend to sound better in houses - better efficiency with lighter cones.

Lastly, home amps (aka Sony crap) don't drive a lot of current, so subs simply don't perform well. Get a nice current drive amp and you'll be fine :) I love my Onkyo for that reason alone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts