Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few missing (4) exhaust manifold studs in my head and i need to replace em, the previous owner put bolts in but i dont trust steel pulling on aluminum. So tomorrow im going to go to Ace hardware and get me some studs and nuts.

What lentgh stud and what threading do i need. OEM dealership studs are too expensive so ill just get some hardware store ones. Thanks in advance

Reactions: Dyoel182

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sweet, thanks, another question the O2 sensor, there is just one right? and can i use the single wire bosh one.. if i remember correctly part number 11027

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Yeah, that's correct for the exhaust manifold studs. 8mm x 1.25. I just replaced all of mine and had to extract 2 snapped studs out of the head. It was cake. I got all of my studs at Ace Hardware and the number I believe was 40. You might as well just replace all of the studs. Just use some good ol' Pb Blaster and you can use two nuts against eachother to unscrew the old ones. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hehe i have 2 studs left in there.... the rest is bolts damn previous owner ghetto rigging... oh well i got a tremendous deal out of this

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hey grangalan arent you the guy who bought that mx6 off tamparacing.com? I saw someone get one as a daily then he resold it. Great deal if you bought it first... still a good deal if you bought it off him lol. Plus it blows cold ass ac doesnt it? Damn your lucky.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Oops, you already said in your first post that there are only bolts in it. Silly me. It was like 5am when I posted lol. That's nuts. Somebody didn't know what they were doing....

·
Registered
137 Posts
Put a little bit of threadlock on the studs going into the head. avoid future problems.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea i got a damn good deal for that car...Had some small issues such as the exhaust manifold studs missing. and some boost leaks (which are all taken care of) but after a full tuneup and debunking the boost leaks it runs like a CHAMP very very strong motor. plus the body is just kickin.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Nice car.I got a black gt mx6 that looks just like that. Its my girlfriends first car.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
HEY...wasn't that car on ebay not too long ago? i swore i seen it there....

btw...was it truly an LX to GT conversion or just the LX stickers?

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
T3 626 said:
Put a little bit of threadlock on the studs going into the head. avoid future problems.
This is a bad idea, IMO. If you need/want to swap out the studs at a later time and there is thread locker on the studs..they could snap off into the head, rather than coming out like they're suppost to. Believe me, I thought about it when I was doing mine, but I don't think you would benifit from it...only put more work on yourself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts