Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on what spark plugs are best for my KL-03 engine. I already have Magnecor wires and will later replace the coil with a MSD system. I understand that a colder plug is best, as the MX6 when I am done with it will kick about 250 brake, up from 170 stock. What confuses me is the gap specs. Corksport recommends NGK 0.35 gap plugs, but they cost 12 dollars for a set of 6, so they can't be that great. Browsing the NGK site for MX6, it comes up with 0.44 gap plugs only. This is a very confusing topic, as any puplishments are written sothat only a pro can understand them. I get the feeling though that a spark plug can make or break the performace, especially if the car is Dyna Tuned. I might be fitting a entry level NOS system with no more than 75bhp gain, to be on the safe side, and this requres something called spark Plug retard?

Any help is much appreciated.

Dan

·
Registered
113 Posts
NGK's hands down, yes they're dirt cheap, but they use NGK's in racing all the way up to Top Fuel...gap them at .044", IMO lose the Magnecor wires and get NGK wires, tested on PT to have less resistance. If you're going to go on the juice stay away from platinum plugs, standard NGK V-power plugs will be fine. If you're wanting to retard your timing to make it safer to use a larger shot then you'll want to get an MSD ignition with timing control. that's about the only way to adjust the timing on the K series engines.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but that just confused me more...:)

I have never heard a bad word about the Magnecor wires, but hands down in deed, the NGK wires are only 78 dollars, which is a bargain, and they probably run sweeter if the plugs are NGK as well, as no doubt they are developed in parallel. However they only have a 180 degrees C heat rating, as opposed to the 320 degrees on the Magnecor's.

What do you mean the NGK wires are tested on PT?

If I am going to get the NGK wires, then I feel I should go straight for the Iridium plugs, as they cost only 6.5 bucks more than the V-Power ones, and are rated as a premium product as oppsed to the regular class of the V-Power.

In 2 minds about those NGK ignition wires......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, and the NGK are 7mm, where the Magnecor are 8.5mm. Still supporting the NGK's?

·
Registered
113 Posts
are you a member of www.probetalk.com ??? there was a test ran that tested the resistance of various wire sets available, and NGK wires had the lowest resistance. I would suggest registering on probetalk, but I must warn you that if you try to post a question without 1st utilizing the search feature you will be flamed. re: NGK iridium plugs: I don't doubt that they are a great plug, but the cost is not worth it to me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am a probetalk member, but I tend to consult MX6.com first. Staying loyal to the name :) Will look there now. Ta

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Backy51 said:
are you a member of www.probetalk.com ??? there was a test ran that tested the resistance of various wire sets available, and NGK wires had the lowest resistance. I would suggest registering on probetalk, but I must warn you that if you try to post a question without 1st utilizing the search feature you will be flamed. re: NGK iridium plugs: I don't doubt that they are a great plug, but the cost is not worth it to me.
Just test using a multimeter and find out for yourself. :shrug:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.