Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 103 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
other day after classes. i ws at a light and a z-28 camaro pulled into the turning lane my ligth turn green he then decided to whip out and play with me. i was going about 30 and he pulled up right next to me we both floored it and i took him by like a car length, then i had to slow down because of a car in front of me so he kept going. then we got into an open stretch (i have a radar detector) then we got on it. we were at about 110,115, 120, 125, he was starting to leg i hit 135 and he just couldnt do it, mx6-1, Z28-0

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Whaaat?! That was probably some domestic rice with a Z28 decal (a'la Type R). Unless it was one of the old ******* special 80's Camaros, there's not a snowball's chance in hell you could have beaten him.

PS. You might want to post your mods in case you have nitrous or something and people don't know about it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually the rs and z28's are not that fast, well the 6 is faster but the iroc z and ss would terminate us, it was like a 94 or 95

·
Registered
416 Posts
well

i dont find this story to unbelieveable, aboput a week ago i pulled behind a camaro (older body style, but prob a 93...def had the 350) and he started revving his engine, so when the light turned green we both punched it and i stayed right on his tail...granted, i didnt gain on hoim, but i sure as hell didn t lose any ground either. and i have a stock 93 mx-6 LS!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Woah, slow down there! A 94-95 LT1 is a FAST car. They are not the fastest thing around, but it would take a turbo /supercharger/NOS or some expensive engine mods for any MX-6 to keep up. I don't see your mods listed, but maybe you raced the RS (not that fast). They have the Z28 rims and body kit, just not the go to match their looks. The LT1 Z28 tops out at more than 155mph. No way an MX-6 could do that, they are not geared for that. Good kill nontheless, but I really doubt it was a 94-95 Z28.

·
Registered
183 Posts
This is just one of the many B.S. stories we get here on mx6.com. My advise to you guys is to ignore it. You see sooo much of it cause the guys dont have enough confidance in their cars, thus they make up some of the MOST OUTRAGEOUS stories anyone has ever heard. I.E. this story. We all know its even more b.s. than the mustang GT kill. GT would destroy a 6 and a Z28 would destroy a GT. THUS the Z28 would destroy the 6.

THESE STORIES ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO STOP! Seriously 305 horses vs 164 horses is not even comparable. A camaro driver has more torque under his right foot than you could possibly EVER immagine. EVEN if you had a blower on yours. You said you beat him on a rolling start. NO F&CKING WAY IN HELL WILL THAT EVER HAPPEN! The whole torque issue once again, he gasses it and he goes, you gas it and you slowly go. You could have your car on the bottle for all i care, the z would destroy you.

·
Registered
416 Posts
z28?

early 90's z28's in no way or means would ever own a gt in "stock"form...up until 93/94 they only had 205 h.p. and ran the quarter in the low-mid 15's...ford was way ahead in the pony race until chevy updated its camaro with a new engine, body, and other goodies.

·
Registered
256 Posts
its not that unbelieveable at all that you beat a z28. my friend has a 92 z28 and i raced him with my stock 94 mx6 LS. my little mx6 kept up like crazy, we ended nose to nose. it might also depend on the driver tho, but me and my friend are decent racers. nice job man. (sorry about posting so late)

·
Registered
173 Posts
YZF-R1

this is for you.....if you don't like what you see, don't come here.....if you get off on trying to tell us that we lie, don't come here. all we try to do is tell people what we raced and if we won or lost. i can HONESTLY say that i have done it...Z28 suto vs. my MX6 auto....i even talked to the guy at school and he didn't know what happened either, but he said he got a decent start, nothing to blame a loss over.

so if you aer just gonna try to cut us down everytime we post a kill story, then leave.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hold the phone guys. I'm seeing a MOTHERLODE of inaccurate info here! x_X;;;

First off: to se tthe record straight, the Camaro/Firebird switched to its current bodystyle in 1993. The IROC-Z had been long dead by then; IROC switched to the Dodge Daytona for 1990. That said, the '82-'92 F-bodies' most powerful engine was a 205 horsepower 5.0 V8 (I can't remember if it was 305 or 307 cubic inches...), so it wasn't exceptionally fast. With the advent of the 4th-gen F-bodies in 1993, they moved up to a 285 horsepower 5.7L, 350 cubic inch LT1 V8; in 1998 this engine got a freer-breathing intake and exhaust which upped the horsepower rating to 305. Either way, we're talking about a car that can pull off a 0-60 time in the mid-5 second bracket, stock. I don't know the 0-60 times for the 3rd0gen, but it would definitely be easier for a 6 to keep up with one of those as compared to a 4th-gen. I think the reason YZF-R1 posted his belief that people were BSing was because people were confusing their model years and engines. Let me reiterate: NO 3RD-GEN CAMARO/FIREBIRD EVER HAD A 350.

Thank you and goodnight :)

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Apollo-Soyuz 1975 said:
Hold the phone guys. I'm seeing a MOTHERLODE of inaccurate info here! x_X;;;

First off: to se tthe record straight, the Camaro/Firebird switched to its current bodystyle in 1993. The IROC-Z had been long dead by then; IROC switched to the Dodge Daytona for 1990. That said, the '82-'92 F-bodies' most powerful engine was a 205 horsepower 5.0 V8 (I can't remember if it was 305 or 307 cubic inches...), so it wasn't exceptionally fast.
Huh? The 1986 L98 (350 cid) IROC-Z was rated at 220HP and 320 ft-lbs. In 1987, those numbers grew to 225 and 330 respectively and in 1988, to 330 and 330 respectively. By 1990, it was making 245HP and 340 ft-lbs.

And don't forget, as many do, about the 1989 Turbo Trans Am: the Grand National-derived turbo 3.8 in that thing was factory rated at 250HP but dyno testing showed it was closer to 300 at the crankshaft. 0-60 was about 5.4-sec and the quarter went by in 13.5-seconds.

There were lesser IROCs: in 1986 the LG4 305 wheezed out a sad 155HP. In 1989 the LO3 (305) managed 170HP and by 1990, the LB9 305 was available with as much as 230HP. But the L98 350 motors (Corvette motors I think) were pretty damn respectable.

<*snip*>
I think the reason YZF-R1 posted his belief that people were BSing was because people were confusing their model years and engines. Let me reiterate: NO 3RD-GEN CAMARO/FIREBIRD EVER HAD A 350.

Thank you and goodnight :)
Except the IROCs with the L98 option.

In order for this "kill" to be understood, we'd need to know more about the Z28 in question. Certainly, a V6 MX6 could probably take a 170HP Camaro, but I doubt it would stand much of a chance against a 245HP L98 IROC.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Mike 94PGT said:
Huh? The 1986 L98 (350 cid) IROC-Z was rated at 220HP and 320 ft-lbs. In 1987, those numbers grew to 225 and 330 respectively and in 1988, to 330 and 330 respectively. By 1990, it was making 245HP and 340 ft-lbs.[/B]
Whoa... I guess I missed the boat completely with that :eek: Thanks for the correction!

·
Registered
183 Posts
93_black_beauty said:
YZF-R1

so if you aer just gonna try to cut us down everytime we post a kill story, then leave.

No... i dont think i will be doing that. Not until you guys wake up and realize that there is no comparisson between a 6 pot with 160 ponies and an 8 pot with more power than god. Camaros have unbelivable performance, and you 6 owners need to realize that you are not anywhere close to there class. THat is unless were talking stage 3 mods, which we arent. THeres no replacement for displacement.

·
Registered
416 Posts
yzf-r1..........did u read the rest of the replies??? a camaro has more pwoer then "god"...with 205 horses......and in a huge heavy body......real quick. and those blazing times of 15's in the quarter, wow! look, we're just saying that the older model z-28's werent that fast and a six could def hang with them.....as for your no replacement for displacement, my tr8 only has a 3.5 liter v-8, which is about 215 c.i., but being that its all aluminum and in a light body, and seeing how it has 325 horses (11:1 compression, stage two valves, edlbrock 600 fourbarrel, crane cam, mallory ignition, custom headers and exhaust, and lots of head work) i have yet to be beat by one of those huge displacing 350 c.i. camaro's.

·
Registered
256 Posts
yzf-r1

for real man you cant just compare the HP cuz camaros are hugantic hunks of metal. you could drop like 3 of our cars on a scale and come up with one camaro, especially the '92's. so dont say that we cant keep up with a 205HP block of metal on wheels because thats just not right.

·
Registered
609 Posts
YZF-R1 said:
No... i dont think i will be doing that. Not until you guys wake up and realize that there is no comparisson between a 6 pot with 160 ponies and an 8 pot with more power than god. Camaros have unbelivable performance, and you 6 owners need to realize that you are not anywhere close to there class. THat is unless were talking stage 3 mods, which we arent. THeres no replacement for displacement. [/B]

I have discovered the root of Camaro pride!!

http://www.mulletsgalore.com/html/class/class1.html

Unbelievable eh?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I dont understand the jerks out there that tell us that we lie. thanks for the people who believed the truth. dude if i wanted to make something up than i would say oh yeah i raced a viper last night and won, come on grow up.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I dont need to grow up. Im not trying to pass off my 164 horse 2 door sport sedan as a z eater.

I will give you guys this. You could HANG with a 305 third generation z, beat it? well... its always possible. A 350 Z? NO absolutely not. They arent as big as you guys think they are. You want big, go talk to a caprice owner, those are big. How about this for a comparison. The Lamborghini diablo weighs in at close to 4000 lbs. Thats more than the 6, so does that mean that the diablo is a huge ass land yaght?

Im just saying that in the original post, the guy didnt make it clear what he raced. He said he raced a Z28. For all i know it could have been 67 kick ass hot rod. Even if it was a third generation i still dont buy it. Its a lot more possible if it were a 3rd gen but there are way too many IROCs out there that would wale on any 6. What pissed me off was the thought that he was talking about the 4th gen. That just aint even funny to talk about. F-bodies are not something that you play with.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.