Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright since it got cold my car was running shitty, not idling, dying when i came to stops, etc. so i popped the hood and found that the big 2 or 3 inch diameter hose running from the mass airflow sensor to the valve cover, fuel injector, and some plastic box, had 3 big cracks in it that was letting the air out. so i duct taped it up which is working ok for a while but i need to replace it. problem is i have no idea what to call it and when i described it to the guy at NAPA he couldn't help me either. do u guys know what i'm talking about so that i can price it at carparts.com or somewhere else. thanks

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
OK I'll try to help, but I don't really understand what you are saying.

-There should be no large (3") tube runnning from the Mass Airflow Sensor to the valve cover. Maybe you meant intake manifold (actually it's the "intake plenum", but nevermind)
-You mentioned "fuel injector". Ummm. There is more than one fuel injector (there are 4), and they shouldn't be directly attached to any large (3") tube.

I'll assume you have a non-turbo car.
Look at the intake manifold (which has the black nameplate on it which says "2.2 liter" or something). If the hose you want to know the name of is attached to that, coming from a "black plastic box" which holds your air filter, then what you are looking for is a "intake flex hose". Or, at least that's what I would call it. I doubt you can get one from carparts.com - you may have to go to the dealer. I hope that's the info you needed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm a dumb ass what can i say

yeah u probably figured i'm not a motor head. anyways yeah the tube runs to the thing that says 2.2liter and then it has a small half inch hose that splices off of it in the middle and flows to the valve cover, and then the other 1 inch hose flows into a black plastic box that doesn't go anywhere. i tried the junkyard and couldn' tfind anytyhing

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
He's talking about the intake snorkel. Cmon it wasnt that hard to figure out. You can get this part form either a ford dealer for a 88-92 probe GL, or from a mazda dealer. It should be about $40-50, and I dont think you can get it from a normal parts store.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
yeah I know.

I said intake flex hose...intake snorkel = same thing.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey guys, it's called the throttle body boot. It's only available at a Ford or Mazda dealership(however, when I called Ford I spend 40 min on the phone and they guy still couldn't find it. I called Mazda and they had it pegged in about 3 min.). I had a big crack in mine and the car just felt like crap..even duct tape wasn't enough to fix it. After I replaced it, the car felt like new...
Makes me wonder how long it had just hairline cracks in it

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sorry for the late response, I paid around $55 at my local Mazda dealership. I've heard of people paying anywhere from $45-60 for them

1 - 9 of 9 Posts