Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
thats my Q for this week.
im allmost done having the engine rebuild.(see my other thread)
and i was wondering what i can do to get more horses out of it.

would it be wise to install bigger injectors??
maybe change throttlebody setup??
add a lightweight flywheel. (have a Fidanza here) but i think that only gives me easy revving instead of Hp.
add a aluminium crankpully. (got one made but more for the looks of it.)
would i benefit from installing an aftermarket system without doing engine mods. ( i do want one.)

gimme some input here guys...
i had some big plans but due to job-changing i need to cancle them for a while.

·
Registered
737 Posts
With that fresh engine rebuild and a better clutch, I would port/polish that head. Then you could run a nice shot of Nitrous and get some real good power. The head might be ok the way it is, but adding nitrous to an upgraded head would make the gains that much more, and since it's not running right now anyways. Leave the stock injectors and run a wet system, add a 5th injector with the Nitrous, that helps with some running lean probs. The good thing about this is if you upgrade to a turbo you could sell the Nitrous system.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Ok, I know some of this has already been said, but I'm gonna say it again.
P&P head
maybe make the VICS a bit bigger (not sure how effective though)
I think evo got bigger valves
upgrade the valve springs and keepers so you don't drop a valve
cams (JayB can get them for I dunno how much $$$)
knife-edge crank
light flywheel will help (less rotating mass frees up HP getting to the wheels)
same for pulleys
if you know what you are doing timing can help
higher comp pistons
just the usual stuff done to all-motor cars
BTW: you have a PM

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
try to get FEAP intake cam....... my vics down't work and its puts a fight for a SR20DE with 115KW.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Feap??

hello all,, I was wondering what differance the FEAP intake cam will do. I guess it has something to w/the grind but are the lobes larger or smaller or is it timing? advantages/disadvantages?? My engine has FEAP and FE3N cams. THNX:wave:

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i dont know...what the diff is.

i have FE5a and FE3N cams. i know for sure the fe5a is from the high performance engine and the fe3n is from the low performance engine.
not yet seen or measured an feap cam.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
dutch - have you actually measuered the fe5a and fe3n cams?

whats the lift and duration like on both sets of cams (both inlet and exhaust)

if you could let me know that would be :tup:

·
Registered
854 Posts
Has anyone ever seen the DOHC F block head without either TWO FE5A cams or a F*** intake and FE3N exhaust?

I'm dying to know if theres any difference between the FE3N exhaust and FE5A exhaust cam!!

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ive not yet measured the cams since i dont know an accurate way to do so.
but u can deffinately tell the difference by putting both the fe5a and the fe3n cams on a table. how they end up lying on the table tells me they are deffinately different.
ill see if i can find a way to measure lift and duration.

·
Registered
854 Posts
dutch626 said:
ive not yet measured the cams since i dont know an accurate way to do so.
but u can deffinately tell the difference by putting both the fe5a and the fe3n cams on a table. how they end up lying on the table tells me they are deffinately different.
ill see if i can find a way to measure lift and duration.
what way do they look diff?? })

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Just ripped of the valve cover on the retired 88 sedan and found 2 FE5A cams

This makes me belive that the following specs are correct

FE5A in cam=Open 10 deg BTDC-Close 60deg ABDC
FE5A ex cam=Open 60 deg BTDC-Close 10deg ABDC
(Leaded gas version 148 hp 10:1 CR)

F*** in cam=Open 10 deg BTDC-Close 55deg ABDC
FE3N ex cam=Open 55 deg BTDC-Close 10deg ABDC
(Unleaded gas version 14?hp ??:1 CR)

The CR ratings of the Unleaded versions are too me rather confusing but i belive the first Unleade was sold with 9,2:1 CR because of the lack of unleaded 98 octane in some countries in 88-89
Later when unleaded 98 was more avaiable they quit making the 9,2:1 and ran only 10:1 up too 95 when Mazda replaced the GV wagon with a new.

The numbers for the Leaded version should be correct
But the unleaded versions can have different cams on 9,2:1 and 10:1 versions.
So it can actually be unleaded engines with dual FE5A cams.

I dont know about the FEAP cam (it can be the intake cam on one of the unleaded versions)
but it would be interesting too se the specs on one

·
Registered
854 Posts
FE3T said:
Just ripped of the valve cover on the retired 88 sedan and found 2 FE5A cams

This makes me belive that the following specs are correct

FE5A in cam=Open 10 deg BTDC-Close 60deg ABDC
FE5A ex cam=Open 60 deg BTDC-Close 10deg ABDC
(Leaded gas version 148 hp 10:1 CR)

F*** in cam=Open 10 deg BTDC-Close 55deg ABDC
FE3N ex cam=Open 55 deg BTDC-Close 10deg ABDC
(Unleaded gas version 14?hp ??:1 CR)

The CR ratings of the Unleaded versions are too me rather confusing but i belive the first Unleade was sold with 9,2:1 CR because of the lack of unleaded 98 octane in some countries in 88-89
Later when unleaded 98 was more avaiable they quit making the 9,2:1 and ran only 10:1 up too 95 when Mazda replaced the GV wagon with a new.

The numbers for the Leaded version should be correct
But the unleaded versions can have different cams on 9,2:1 and 10:1 versions.
So it can actually be unleaded engines with dual FE5A cams.

I dont know about the FEAP cam (it can be the intake cam on one of the unleaded versions)
but it would be interesting too se the specs on one
My engine is from japan and it has the FEAP cam. It was also on an automatic and is high compression. Stock N/A FE3 for Stock Turbo F2T (8psi) we're even, i pull at higher speeds on the F2T. Hmmm

The 1.8L F8 i got had an F8K1 intake cam and FE3N exhaust cam. I wanna get a set of FE5A's and try them out!

·
Registered
294 Posts
one of my thoughts is going with 11.1:1 compresion ratio piston and lightweight flywheel and pulley and head port and polished.

·
Registered
94 Posts
what should I look for or do

Should I keep my cams or change?? Motor seems like it is very low miles and I have not yet taken it apart,,ALA except for the coverings (valve cover, exhaust manifold,plugs and such) My motor is virgin as far as I know:) . FE3N & FEAP are what I have. Obviously the cams could not be the same in initiation and duration cause that would defeat the purpose:) Everything you all explain I appreciate!! Mabey I should just keep what I have???? OR????.....THNX:wave:

G

·
Hello ! i'm new here, currently i own the '91 MX6 (FE3N), and planning on swapping the engine with the KL-ZE, will the new engine bolt right in my car ? anybody ever done that before ? need some input here, since it's kinda troublesome to get my MX runs faster against those integra motored civics ! can't take the beating anymore. help !!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts