Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ppl,

My car has 127XXX miles and I know the suspension is shot. It feels like i have no suspension at all. My question is what should I get (strut & springs) to get a stock feeling suspension? I'm not looking to lower my car or gain any performance out of my new setup, I just want a smoother ride. Please tell me the amount I'm expected to dish out also.

Also, what should I replace along with the struts and springs? like strut mounts and stuff.....

Any suggestions appreciated...

thanx in advance...

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I'd just replace the struts with something new since they are probably gone by now.

Springs should be good since there isn't much that can go wrong with them.

Strut mounts are not really needed, though you might want to check in on the stock control arms and the swaybar bushings.

The only thing I can see as needing replacement when you take them off is the plastic bearings at the top of the mount. This part is not much from Mazda and will make a good difference in steering smoothness. Also can prevent future headaches. You should change them out everytime you take the suspension apart since they are cheap and very breakable if the top bolt is a bit overtorqued.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Eleven said:
Hi ppl,

My car has 127XXX miles and I know the suspension is shot. It feels like i have no suspension at all. My question is what should I get (strut & springs) to get a stock feeling suspension? I'm not looking to lower my car or gain any performance out of my new setup, I just want a smoother ride. Please tell me the amount I'm expected to dish out also.

Also, what should I replace along with the struts and springs? like strut mounts and stuff.....

Any suggestions appreciated...

thanx in advance...
to be totally truthful, i would say don't go with the eibachs again :) i love the ride but its much harder than stock :) but - you should know that ;) it was your car :D

i rode in a friend's with gc's and illuminas set on 2 or 3 all around, and it was a great ride.... but thats a lot of $ into the suspension lol

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Struts are all you should need. KYB GR2s are cheap and effective with stock springs. However, since you are in NYC, you may actually need new springs soon enough - in case you didn't know, there is a "recall" for them. The story is that they screwed up with the spings and in northern regions (read: salt on roads) they may rust and break. My passenger bottom-coil snapped about a year ago, for example (147k miles on her now).

So, check the springs, and at least get the recall performed (they just put on a shiled to keep the snapped spring from blowing out your tire). Otherwise, replace the springs. But, you get different springs, then you'll affect your ride, and will also need better struts than the KYBs mentioned above.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanx for the replies guys....

it looks like im gonna get the GR-2s....but if i decide to change the springs, what should i look for? i want something to ride like stock.......unless there's a way that i can find out if my springs will last me for another 2 or 3 years.....

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I couldn't tell you anything about "stock feel "springs. You could look to a junkyard and get some springs from there, for a true-stock situation. But, of course, you could still run into the broken spring problem in the future.

I bought a set of Eibachs and I love them. Yes, they are firmer and will let through more of the road, but it's not harsh at all. In fact, my wife didn't even notice that I had replaced them, although the car sits about 1.5" lower. Large bumps will cause the car to really let-through the road, as I have noticed, but it's not bad at all. Maybe I am just too into the improved handling?

·
Registered
947 Posts
SUSPENDED !!!

START HERE>>>>The Tire Rack is about the cheapest place to get the Kyb gr-2(stock replacment Strut) I would replace the mounts also since your at it the back are expensive. :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts