Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all if you been following my posts it seems tripharn was right while the idea of a duel charged MX6 seems good after today we realise it just will not happen efectivly.

Anyway i want to know a turbo that i can by that all i need is a adaptor plate to bolt it up or one that will bolt straight up ould be good as well please tell me what turbo and how much im looking at for the adaptor plate as well.

Any help on this would be great even tell me what your turbo upgrade is and i might copy you :p if you dont mind of course

Robbo

Merry christmas all :D

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to add im looking for a 14 second car so any turbo that will help me get that will be good (im auto X :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Best would be a VF23 it would be almost perfect for an auto and giving almsot best performance

but I have seen a T28 on a Auto Tx5 on almsot unlimited boost (was run with boost cut)
was still quite quick and boost almost like factory

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone know where i can get a vf 23 and how much they go for got to work out a budget for this

Or anyone else got any ideas???

Robbo

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
as you know im running a t28 (non bb - from an rb26dett).

to be honest i am a little dissapointed. Its running roughly 12psi now (only 10 in 2nd and probably 6-8 in 1st) and it goes ok.. capable of 14s? with some suspension work and maybe a better flowing cooler id dare say yeah no worries..

so i probably wouldnt suggest this setup unless your after somethin cheap. i think the actual turbos go for little as 300.

one thing i love about it is that when everything is running right, damn the turbo whistle is LOUD!..

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Xscape" so did you just get a adaptor plate made up for your t28 or did you go a custom manifold i dont want a custom manifold i just want a adaptor plate Turbo or one that i can bolt up i am looking at the sort of dollars you spent but i have a bigger then stock cooler and intercooler piping also so maybe it might just get me to the 14s if im lucky.

Thanks mate please get back to me im very interested

Robbo

·
Registered
751 Posts
Yeh I agree XsKaPe my T3 has quite a scarey (at first anyway) whistle. But it's been whistling for almost 6 months now with no ill effects so I think it's just a natural sound for it. It sounds very sweet in a narrow street with some major echo :D

Robbo I'm running a T3 off a VG30DET using an adaptor plate. It's probably the cheapest alternative to mating up a different flange shape. It isn't the best but its definitely cheaper. Make sure you go with something common (keeps the price down) and keep in mind things like rebuild cost.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How much did that setup cost you dougiefresh very interested

Robbo

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Adaptor plates are the best. Especially if you remove it your self get a plate weleded on as replacement of the factory plate or weld another plate on top and re drilled, this can bring the turbo a bit lower and creat more weight but.
Best bit is if you have some tools like a dremel (best thing ever on my 2nd one in 10 years ) you can o your own porting and smothen up the manifold a bit.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
my turbo is bolted to the manifold via an adaptor plate.. i bought the setup complete (2nd hand) with external gate welded on for 500ish..

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
XsKaPe hows the boost control with that turbo?

really experienced external gate on that size turbo before.

most big turbo's only not all pumping big boost but most needing an external gate

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
rod, im not sure what your asking, but:

the gate (35 mm hks) is quite sensative... turning it a little changes the boost dramatically.. i was trying to set it down to 10 psi (from 12) the other day, and with a quarter of a turn it was on like 5!!..

its sort of exponential.. its easy to set different levels of low boost, i.e going from 3 to 5psi.. but 6 and above it gets a bit tricky so ive pretty much got it completely closed (turbo unrestricted).. but i can still hear the gate still open at high rpm??..

i donno if theres a problem with it or not, but i was thinking about running a bleed valve off the wastegate line to see what happens.. i just dont want my shaft flying out the exhaust

:(

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Would anyone be able to find me a setup with a price that i can save for that will just bolt up it wont take me long to get the money and i can pay you for your trouble if you want lets say under $500 for turbo and adaptor or whatever and we can work out a form of payment for your trouble.

My area suxs ass for turbo stuff might be better to wait till i move to melbourne then ill be right.

Robbo

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
In most cases XsKaPe I have seen and used bleed valves to help boost control.

A mate of mine on his 13B has his gate set at 8psi then the bleed valve to full open for normal weekend 3 and 1/2 turns ( I do the turns - i'm stupid enough to put my hand in his engine bay and get burnt it's in a bad poistion)

seems to work well

1 - 16 of 16 Posts