Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wut up boys
im 17 from toronto recently got in a car accident with my 91 240sx and looking to buy an mx6 , i mrally interested about them and need a car that can sumwhat take the place of my 240. im really interested in the japense domestic market mx6 and all the authentic mazda speed products i would like to know more and on tunning them.just thought id say hi
platinmumchainz

·
Registered
30 Posts
240 v mx-6

Hey sucks you recked the 240. I originally was going for a 240 when i started looking for a car and was planning on doing a sr20det swap on it which would have been fast enough for me, oh right back to the mazda, (sorry 240 is my dream project import car outside of an rx-7) anyways about power comparison mazda mx-6 will spank basically any all motor 240 out there, the v6 anyways. the 240 has a little more of a torquey feel to the gas pedal but the mx-6 is a more refined and definately faster car. the ride is also a lot smoother and handling is prob a little better same the only downsides i can posibly see to the mx-6 is that the mx is front wheel, i prefer rear, just a preferance. but this means you can beat the 240 going over a 100mph around a corner}) the 240 slide out pretty easy as you probably know. the other advantage to the 240 is availability of parts. mx is kinda hard to find but with this sight you should be able to find anything you want. i think thats it for my novel. sorry it was so long good luck on finding a car. you can pick up a good mx-6 for around 3500 which is what i got mine for you can look at pics in my profile, go to cardomain link. there ya go hope it helps

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Platinumchainz, welcome to the board. :)

I doubt you'll find a true JDM MX-6 in North America any time soon. On occasion, however, there will be cars with JDM mods available for sale in Ontario. One that comes to mind immediately is Honda Etr's.

My own KL-ZE equipped car isn't on the open market at this time, but I doubt I'll be keeping it for the rest of my life. If this is of interest to you, feel free to contact me: [email protected]

MX-6's have really come down in price. Well done examples with tasteful JDM mods will command a premium so don't be shocked by the asking prices. Set yourself a budget and go from there. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
what about 1st gen GT's, you guys seem to think the 2nd gen mx-6 is all there is, either that or you don't care about the 1st gens.

Info on 1st gen GT (Turbo)

Comes stock at 7psi's of boost laying down 140hp with 190TQ (yes thats the correct torque ratting, and yes thats WHP). Now you may be thinking 140hp:rolleyes: , but that 190tq gets the wheels rooling to that 145hp in no time, pluse the 1st gen is WAY easier to mod for more TQ and HP then the 2nd gen. 2nd gens are more limited to just the JDM engine swap as the A-spec 2nd gen motor has been knowen to not respond very well to mods, in other words you install a cold air intake and K&N cone filter on a A-spec 2nd gen motor your not going to get 5hp like you would on a turbo car its going to be more like 1-2hp, same with the exaust upgrades etc. With the 1st gen's GT, all you have to do is get a ECU chip (either adams or zombies), a MBC (boost controller), and a stronger BOV (our By-Pass valves leak at 13-15psi's). And your set to run 15psi's of boost, which can easily give you 210hp with 245tq.(those numbers are a guess going by some of the dyno's Ive seen on this site) with just those things, every thing else stock including the injectors, fuel pump and the turbo. so just imagine how fast you can go with a upgraded T3 hybird or some other bigger turbo. On top of all of that, us 1st geners have an awsom JDM swap at our disposal, its called the FE DOHC (or as alot of us like to call it the "FE3"), there are 2 modles of the FE3... one is the high compression modle, its 10.1-1 with no CAT or EGR and puts out 170HP in N/A form (members correct me if I'm wrong), the other one is a lower compression modle 8.1-1 (I think thats the right comp.) and it has a CAT and EGR, i think its 140hp (i'm not sure). Most of us go turbo if we get a FE3, as it loves boost and most of the internals are strong enough to handle boost levles as high as 20psi's. The engine came turboed from the factory at 15psi's of boost, unfortunaly, this was for rally racers only, so in order to get that turboed FE DOHC (FE3T), we have to do it ourselves. With the right turboed installed and the right fuel managment system, IE: SDS (stand alone fuel managment), and the right tunning, a 1st gen MX-6 using a FE DOHC customed turboed, can lay down numbers as high as 425hp with 400tq (lest see a 2nd gen do that!). The FE3 is not as torquy as the F2T, the A-spec motor, but it dosn't have to be, because when the FE3 becomes a Fe3T (turboed) its a real fast engine. It can rev to 7k unlike the a-spec motor (the F2T) which can only rev to 6k which dosn't matter anyway because the powerband ends at 5.5k. With the FE3T the powerband can end at as high as 8k creating power all the way there. This is mostly an educated guess, I have no personal experience with the FE DOHC turboed, but I have read enough info about it on this site that Im probley not too far off on my guess or HP numbers.
In conclusion, don't just think about getting a 2nd gen, put some serious thought into getting a 1st gen GT, but make sure its turboed as the N/A 1st gen's are not super fast, they're just peppy.

Methman

PS: IF you can't afford a Fe3 swap and can't spend alot of money on turboing it and going stand alone, its ok. why? because the A-spec 1st gen motor can go super fast, 13sec in the 1/4 with just a few mods like a upgraded turbo, ECU chip, High boost (16psi's) exaust upgrade ect. There is also a member on this site who has done an un-blueprinted tottal build-up of the f2T, and a 50 or 75 shot of nitrous, and he got a 11.XXX in the 1/4!!!!!! NO second gen is going to do that without a TONN of money spent on making the internals stronger then getting the turbo and fuel etc. yep alot of $$$$ and even then the 2nd gen may only get a 13sec pass. (purly speckulation on my part)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts