Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

what will it be like running a car without a turbo

5950 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  tx5_cool_dude83
what will it be like running a car without a turbo

i wanna take the turbo of the 626 and turn it into a n/a for my mrs cause she is going for her red ps soon and i dont wanna go through all the examtion bullshit just to find out that she cant drive it
so only problem is would the car still drive normal just like a normal n/a etc etc
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
It will be underpowed and no fun...but I don't see any reason that you would have any driveabilty issues. It shoud be just like driving with a turbo out of boost.
ah ok so pretty much it will be like a n/a car ?
Probably worse... as the engine will have lower compression, and was designed to be run with a turbo..
Pretty sure it will run ok though.. albeit with a lot less power... no turbo lag with accompanying kick in the pants... and possibly better fuel mileage..

John
yeah it'll run like hell. probably imo be dangerous taking a boosted engine making it n/a. the engine wont rev right. it wont run/ idle right... could stall out while at a light etc... tell her to deal with it.. a turbo isnt the end of the world.
it'll be fine.....right now I am having to drive w/ a dead turbo that won't spool....mileage is great...but she runs a tad rich @ idle.
yeah it'll run like hell. probably imo be dangerous taking a boosted engine making it n/a. the engine wont rev right. it wont run/ idle right... could stall out while at a light etc... tell her to deal with it.. a turbo isnt the end of the world.
Why wouldnt it? The ECU controls all of that in conjunction with the VAF. Which in this case, is the exact same between the N/A and turbo versions. A turbo car is just an N/A car with a turbo on it in the end.

It will rev just fine.
It will idle just fine.
It wont die.

It will just be slow as hell. Think N/A car, with a lot less power because of the lower compression. And you'll have absurdly large injectors in there for an N/A car:lol:

The only problem that may arise is the car may run a little rich at WOT because of the turbo ECU map.
you must spread more....bleh.....you hit the nail on the head tony.....that's exactly what i am dealing with right now;)
well if the car will run a tad rich that wouldent matter just as long as it can get 420km on a full tank for my mrs then there is nothing to worrie about as i think i previous said she is going for her p plates soon from a learners permitt and well they will fail her if they see its turbo and not to mention that she drives fricken slow to begin with anyways the way she drives i can push a tyre down the hill and the tyre will still beat her across the finsh line:p
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.