Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assume the ground for my charging light is loose as it has been flickering on and off for a long time. For awhile it just stayed on and I thought I needed to add grounds to the back where the battery was relocated.

I know the battery is charging thats not an issue. But something is causing the light to go on and off, it def flickers on bumps so I am starting with the simple things and working up.

So where is this wire located? (Or wires) I am willing to bet its something simple.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
you sure it's not your alternator dying? because when mine was in the process of dying, it kept going on and off. when i'd rev to higher rpms, it'd go away, but when it'd idle the light would intermittently go on and off. eventually it just stayed on when my alternator was completely dead

if that isn't the case, you check if the plug on the alternator is seated correctly and that it's not too dirty? no idea on what wires could be loose because if it's behind the gauge cluster, you'd probably have problems with other lights too

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I have swapped alternators and tested both of them.

As I said it seems wiring related like a ground making loose contact.

Bumps it flickers, slowin down it turns off, stopped it turns back on, going up hill sometimes its gone but stop and its back.
Hints why I think its a wire, but I guess it could be the connector to the alternator... hmm. I will check that next chance I get.

·
Registered
578 Posts
On the alternator there is a black plug with two wires going in.

One is the "charge" light and the other is the "signal" light.

Check them as they control both the rate of charge and the signal light you refer to. They get hot and brittle and can short, causing the problem you describe.

Re-wire with heat-resistant wire. You can, if you have to, break out the original wires and fit "female" connectors of the correct size.

This will solve your problem.

Cheers,

Reactions: Cross

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Karma Given, I had a feeling this was what was going on.

Cheers!

Reactions: Davaro
1 - 5 of 5 Posts