Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if its possible for our cars ..... with extensive modification obviously... can run under ten in the quarter... like pull mid 9's....... I know that probe is running 11's or something..... but he has stayed relatively conservative with his mods..... Im talking about a brand new KL 03... with forged piston and rods..... higher displacement..... standard 2.7 with forged pistons...... turbo or SC... I like SC personally...... and then some nice NOS injection......... And obviously race tranny and clutch...... flywheel etc...... with racer slicks.......... Has anyone tried anything with this much modification and if so what does she run......???

Mike

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
All I can say is that virtually all of the current crop of Hondas performing that feat are little more than gutted Coke-can bodies on tube frames (read "very light weight") and are running serious power, in the 650-700HP range from very high boost Prelude-based turbo motors.

To get an MX6 there you'd need to start with 700HP, even if the car was gutted, since a gutted Civic will always weigh less than a gutted MX6.

Then there's getting the power to the ground. A custom gearbox would be a must. The Hondas seem to be able to get a few runs out of stock Integra boxes but the Mazda box is pretty weak. It'd never live behind such a motor, and would certainly not take the abusive launch required (e.g. high-boost, high-RPM & slicks) to net a 9-sec 1/4-mile.

I suppose anything is possible with enough money.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sorry mike your wrong,
most of these hondas run B18C5 Integra type R motors at anywere around 800 pluss HP, with JE pistons and titanium rods, extensive head work with serious cams. and big ass turbos.

But thats not where the power comes from.

They also have something not many people think of. ECU's and igitions that cost more than the car its self. Since us import guys dont hve boatloads of displacement, everything els must be perfect, timing, TPS controles, air/fuel, and every other sensor on the motor. And thats what gets them into the 9's

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Whatever, 'TT' :rolleyes:

The point was, what gets them into the 9s is power, power, more power and lightweight car construction. How well executed and integrated the system is that gets you to that end (e.g. engine management, ignition etc) is indeed important, but you can't say that the turbo, cams, headwork, bottom end etc isn't what's making the power: it is. What makes it possible is careful integration and good engine management.

I will not be dragged into another pissing contest on a topic like this where opinions are like assholes: everyone has one. The fact is the Kubos, Hickmans, Trans, Callos' etc of the world are doing 9s because the package is making shitloads of power and the cars weigh next to nothing.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah..... Id have to agree it is all about the power.... The only local Integra I know that runs around 10 to 11 has the biggest monster turbo I have ever seen..... dont even know how it spools off an Integra.... and he has enough air fuel and ignition electronics to make my head spin..... He has it rated at about 500 to 600 WHP..... which isnt bad... for an Integra. Id like to see someone mess their MX up to 800 horsies.. but it aint gonna be me..... I ont have the cash..... Oh well you can dream........

·
Registered
543 Posts
miker

are you sure that probe is running 11's on light mods? The only probe that I know of that comes close to that is Chris' (raw power owner) who owns a 1st gen pgt with some serious turbo upgrades done to his car. Even pig probe with 238 whp was only able to run low 14's. I think your friend might be streaching the truth.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
MX-6 BOY jr said:
<*snip*>Even pig probe with 238 whp...<*snip*>
John, tell me this was a typo...

·
Registered
140 Posts
hay 94PGT
Criss Rado ran a mainly stock engine with a big t66 and an 10,000$ engine management (pretty nice to have a dad who owns world electronics)
All the engine work is a very important part as well but im just pointing out the fact that we have a good deal of reasearch to do iff we want to do 9's, which should be posable with time and lots of $ lol
Im working with turbos ;D, im not any kind computer guru, ill get into that when i win the loto

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The probe I was talking about was NOT light mods..... it had some fairly heavy alteration.... I was just saying it was not as far as he could have gone..... and yes he is running 11s and 12s....Turbo'd.. I was just using it as an example.

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts