Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

At this stage just taking some suggestions, I guess they can be classified as two things.

1.) What you think will improve/add knowledge/add value for our members?
2.) Things that peeve you off about the board that you'd like changed.

I'm not promising to fix the things you don't like, just asking for feedback in specific relation to the Aus forums, and see what you'd like to see changed. If enough people agree, it gives me a case to go to Scooby with requests.

I'd also like to add if certain members/types of actions or behaviour annoy you, please PM instead of publicly creating arguments in this thread, that's not what I want.

There are some things that Odin and I will be working on.

1.) Sorting out member database - to include mods, photos, bios etc.
2.) FAQ's for the Aus forums - specifically related to modifications and common problems for both cars. This will help newbies, and relieve some of the more commonly asked questions.
3.) Cruise registries to try to encourage more often MX6 club cruises and events.

I will start a poll maybe after getting some feedback about popular changes or requests.

Cheers
Pete

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
Im pretty happy with how the forum is now :) friendly people willing to help others out :)

One thing that would be a good idea is a chat schedule a chance for us all to chat at the same time maybe ? like once a week or something ? just an idea.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Good work guys, i like to see a little 'active moderating' every now and then, keep it up!.. maybe this is also a good opportunity to say thanks for doin what you guys do.

- i strongly agree with the idea of sorting out the member database. Maybe it could include some sort of search function so if i see say a gold 1st gen with a 'fully sick body kit bro' out on the road, i could come here, type in the details i do know (i.e colour, year), and hopefully find out who that member is.. This may be asking for more than its worth, but if there is an easy solution to this i think it would be a cool feature to have for a few reasons.

- with the FAQ, also a good idea.. but i would like it if the information included in them was absolute and definite (i.e moderated heavily).. i have noticed in the 1st gen faq there are a couple of items which are sort of debatable.

- cruize registry, sounds excellent.. personally, what i want from mx6.com is a friendlier, more sociable atmosphere.. maybe this is just what we need to do so..

maybe a sticky post could be made (again) which stipulates a schedule where those interested could all go into a chat room and discuss whatever...

or maybe us aussies could have our own "general discussion/misceleanous" section, to keep people like me from whoring threads and talking about crap which others arent interested in..

either way guys, i feel as though the forum itself is quite good and i cant think of anything wrong with it.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
This forum is great.... has its ups and downs like everywhere else... but overall it is an addictive experience.

What I would like to say is, and I've sent emails and placed threads in the lounge and suggestions is...

1. The login doesn't work properly! If you read a thread then reply, without already being logged in, it brings up the login page fine, but then it stuffs up. Its been like it all year, and hasn't been fixed... very annoying.

2. FAQ's is a good idea.

Tripharn

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
XsKaPe said:
- i strongly agree with the idea of sorting out the member database. Maybe it could include some sort of search function so if i see say a gold 1st gen with a 'fully sick body kit bro' out on the road, i could come here, type in the details i do know (i.e colour, year), and hopefully find out who that member is.. This may be asking for more than its worth, but if there is an easy solution to this i think it would be a cool feature to have for a few reasons.
[/B]
If need be I can write a java program which could do such a function, with an Access Database. It would take me some time as I'm very busy with my IT course atm, but II could probably get something up in a month or two. Would just have to host the thing somewhere thats all

Tell me what you think?

BTW I think scooby is working on that login prob. Should be fixed when the board is upgraded to the new version

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
thats alot of commitment on your behalf - although may be used in your resume i guess.

seriously, if you wanted to take on the development of such a program, i think it would be nice.

id like the application, because;
- i can find out who owns what cars i see on the street
- can ask those people about their mods etc, then learn more + build better relationships
- can look for similar cars to mine, and see what different people have done.. i.e see what a blue 1st gen without a spoiler looks like, so that i can think about taking the same approach.

i guess you get the idea.. if its successful, do you think that scooby would be ok with hosting it?.. maybe i'll donate some money to encourage him, i think its about time i give somethin back to the fourm.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
ODIN said:
If need be I can write a java program which could do such a function, with an Access Database. It would take me some time as I'm very busy with my IT course atm, but II could probably get something up in a month or two. Would just have to host the thing somewhere thats all

Tell me what you think?

BTW I think scooby is working on that login prob. Should be fixed when the board is upgraded to the new version
Why bother writing a standalone prog when PHP can interface directly with mySQL and Access??? Just creates extra work. If this was a JSP based site, then yea maybe.

It would also require a change in the profile to include that data, and in the actual database... unless you just search the signature for the info???

But, yea, would be a good option to have though.

Tripharn

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
tripharn said:
Why bother writing a standalone prog when PHP can interface directly with mySQL and Access??? Just creates extra work. If this was a JSP based site, then yea maybe.

It would also require a change in the profile to include that data, and in the actual database... unless you just search the signature for the info???

But, yea, would be a good option to have though.

Tripharn
Yeah thats fair enough :) but my main knowledge atm is Java so all that stuffs above my head atm. Thats why I could only really do the program in Java

Chris

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
ODIN said:
Yeah thats fair enough :) but my main knowledge atm is Java so all that stuffs above my head atm. Thats why I could only really do the program in Java

Chris
No worries, I know how you feel. I'll be spending the next 2 months working on a Java back-bone web based, database application.... oh the fun of Software Engineering :)

You could do it, there is no doubt about it. But using PHP would be easier, since it is already PHP based.

Anyway, back to studying, this place sidetracks me :) AND I LIKE IT!

Tripharn

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
A 'quick reply' field at the bottom of the thread would be great, saves hitting 'Add Reply' and waiting for the reply window to load.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'd also like to see a Members Database put into place. I had been speaking to Barry regarding this for a while, and i have a MySQL/php solution that i wrote sitting on my home pc that allows you to search and sort by Model, make, year, wheel size, color etc. It also linked back to individual 'profile' pages that showed info and pics of members cars. I still have the code, and would be happy to help getting this going. (the data was imported from Barry's old spreadsheet (which i still have a copy of))

The main problem with a seperate member database is authentication. There is currently no way for an external script to 'know' what your mx6.com login is, so we'd either have to duplicate the logins (which is a PITA), or have little to no security. i.e. Anyone could update anyones profile/photos, which is dangerous.

I'd like to make a suggestion though, can we please have the 'For Sale & Wanted' forum changed so it is a Sub forum of 'Australia' rather than a Sub forum of 'Australia/Important Information'? At the moment when someone posts in the for sale forum, both forums (Important Info and For Sale) get flagged as having a new post, insead of just 'For Sale'. It annoys the hell outta me! :)

And a Chat Schedule is a good idea, i posted about it a while ago but didn't get much response (other than a full chat room all that night! :))

Keep up the good work guys,

Caleb.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Hey Caleb,

To get around your authentication issue, what you do is create a session ID when a user logins to the webpage... or loads the page for that matter (cookies).

The session controller stores the ID in a table in the database with a timer on it (idle timer, future point in time), so that it isn't there permanently... whenever the user loads a page then the timer is advanced say 30mins or whatever.

The ID is made up of probably, IP address, time and user login... you can even encode it if you want. That is how most webpages maintain login status...

But, why make it a seperate database? Just include it in the one they have now?

Here is a basic idea that I found using a quick Google search :)

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/52252

Tripharn

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
cruise section/ meet-ups etc
and maybe a Aus and NZ photo section as, it's nice with the main pic posting place but I think it woudl be nice to have our own.

everything else is fine.

Oh maybe a top ten posters list ETC all that stuff.
Like maybe in important area, like who to PM aobut FE3's Cam22T and BF ETC stuff like that.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hey Tripharn,

Thanks for your help, but its not quite what i meant.

AFAIK, including it in the current mx6.com database is not an option, the admin are pretty against any idea that will increase server load/bandwidth.

I can easily authenticate people on my own page, and store session id's, ip's etc, thats not a problem. The problem is, how the hell can my script (which will be sitting on a completely seperate server to mx6.com, with no access to the database) allow users to change their OWN details, if i have no way of telling who they are? The thought was to have a link at mx6.com that would point to the script, and pass a username or something. (not at all secure i know, but its more so people can update their own profile/photos easily without having to login again or search for their own details) Barry had said he was going to talk to Scooby about it, but nothing ever eventuated.

Thanks again!

Caleb.

Edit: spelling, re-read the post and it bugged me

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Got ya! My fault, I didn't realise that you weren't able to change the current database or even have access to it.

Well, if you have no access to the current authentication system, then you really can't use it.... securely anyway. Even if you copied it you wouldn't be able to know if any new users where added, or someone changed their passwords etc.

I suppose the only real option is to make a seperate database specifically for this... But who would pay to host it? and who would maintain it? I think your current plan is the best you could do... It wouldn't be as unsecure as I first thought, as it would be all server side coding, except for the initial login screen... but we have to do that anyway.

I'm out of ideas for now too.... have to think about it more, after exams though :)

Tripharn

·
Registered
415 Posts
well since you cant use the mx6 database its going to cause a couple of issues... if you do create a completely seperate system then all you have to do is sync the passwords between databases say every 24hrs with some php perhaps...

I actually tried to get this going a while back if you guys remember, a few members put up their cars and that was it.. Unless the system is going to be integrated completely within this site (ie you will need axs to the db and vbulletin source to do this properly) then i wouldnt bother since most members simply wont know about the feature...

If you guys wanted to i could setup a page specifically for mx6.com cars but of course you will still have an extra username/password for every members car profile....

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
My plan wasnt to set up such a complete program as that. All I was going to do was write a program which would let users search the database. Not actually insert new records. As its been said Scooby doesnt want to increase the bandwith pressures on the site. I wanted to have this thing running on a seperate server.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've just finished my computer science degree today, so if you guys need any help with a membership database, let me know, I have experience in PHP, J2EE(Servlets and JSP ) and perl.

I can probably even help out with some hosting.

Chris

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
Thx goopy. Seems like we have a few skilled IT people here :)

Ok what we need to know now is would you want this thing as a complete program? ie Pictures editing etc, or just a reference to which members have which cars and their mods etc.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Hey Odin,

The more the features the merrier... but you really need to find out if their a REAL need and that more than 5 ppl are going to log in! I would hate to see people work on a system only for to fail because no-one uses it.

Plus, there is always the problem with hosting....

I don't mind helping out either, if I have the time which their is getting less and less of. I'm currently got a 2 month contract writing a very similar setup to this, except in JSP / Java / mySQL, so I know this stuff like the back of my hand. After I'm finished, I'll be more than happy to help out.

Tripharn

1 - 20 of 38 Posts