1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1988 Red MX6 GT turbo, perfect body
127,000 miles
new struts and clutch

a dealership got it as a trade in and i was wondering what others would pay for such a car

·
Registered
100 Posts
2 g's... Maybe less.. depending on how picky you are.....

www.edmunds.com

Retail (Private party, wholesale, dealer retail)

Base Price $979 $1,428 $2,175

Optional Equipment $40 $59 $100

Color Adjustment $0 $0 $0

Regional Adjustment $23 $34 $52

Mileage Adjustment $204 $204 $204

Condition Adjustment $0 $0 $0

Total $1,246 $1,725 $2,531

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
if the fact that its from a dealership means that they checked it out before the took it in. then go for it 2 g's is good price if its in good condition.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I know when I bought my car about 9 months ago I paid $500, it need tranny work. The day after I got the car running some guy offered me $2g's. I turned him down, and I am soo glad I did. Honestly if someone offered me $3g cash, I would'nt take it. My car might not be worth that much on paper, but I feel the 88-92 mx-6 turbo is worth much more to the owner. I'm sure most of you guys would agree.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well......

they're trying to sell it for $3000 and im having trouble trying to get them to come down on the price

i just thought that i'd come to some "knowledgable people" for advice so i can print off what others have to say and show it to these dealers

thanks!

·
Registered
100 Posts
print off the blue book price and show them.....

That's how I haggled them down on price on mine....

Even though YOU know it's a good car, they don't know a lot about it, so you make it sound like a POS to them (find every little flaw), and use it to your advantage. :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
back in Feb of this year

i paid just under $4k for my car....on an acura used car lot......awesome shape, very low miles (just a hair under 65K orig miles) car came with documentation,repair paperwork, been worth it......the car is now at 80K and I've just barely started having maint issues (had to replace the alternator a couple of weeks back, and now my HLA's are ticking hard) but other than that, she is a beast and i will drive her till the wheels fall off!

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
I think its worth about $2500 depending on the paint and interior condition. Mine is still worth about $2195. I bought it for $2000 a little over a year ago (Private seller)

Dealers will always raise the price some. Flash around $2500, Im sure theyll take it........maybe even $2300

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
yeah defintally beat them out of the 3g's range, try to get it for like $2300-$2500. But if you end up paying $3000 don't feel bad..I paied $4200 for my 1990 MX-6 GT in great condition.

Methman

·
Registered
142 Posts
yeah....haggle like a mother....

the dealer orig wanted FIVE grand...

"yeah right", I said @-

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
ok first smack him around a little.

then turn on the car look for the sound of the hla's mention it could be tapping. POint out things like rust on rotors, or low tread on tires. be creative, im sure you can talk him down, he didnt pay more than 1500 for the car. search around this site for typical little problems that happen to peoplee and include them in your speech.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
If I knew then what I know now, I could prolly buy any Gt I saw for sale for about half of what they would be asking. If no price is listed I'd say $1000

·
Registered
78 Posts
drsjr1980, you are so right!!!

I paid 1500 for mine. 88gt. body was strait but paint was sunburnt, it took me 4 hours with a buffer, back to new. interior is perfect... car has been great... and now with the addition to a 7.2 in screen, tv tuner, dvd player... I cant put a price tag...

But on the same topic.. the dealership i work at took in a 88 gt. well tag said 87 (i didn't check the "born on" date) it has an electric gauge cluster (never heard of that before) big dent in the quarter (4-6 hour dent) some rust under the hood, couldn't hurt to give it a new paint job (i paint cars so that cannot be factord into the price)

How much would this be worth to anyone, (BTW, if its over 700 ill take pics and help someone else with buying with my discount)

--NAteDizzo

X

·
0 Posts
Should I buy or should I pass?

I have an 89 MX6 which I like very much, but I was keeping my eye out for a hatchback as I haul a lot of small junk and the sedan trunk has too small of opening...

So today I saw a neighbour had parked his 88 626 hatchback on the main street with a for sale sign. It looked pretty good and I expected to see $5500 obo or whatever, and to my surprise he was asking $1100 obo, (Canadian dollars), which is about $800US.

It is a Turbo 5 spd with about 145,000 miles. It is an one owner car driven by a lady schoolteacher. I suspected the car had been repainted as it was immaculate, even the pin striping was perfect, (whereas my cars original paint pinstriping is cracking.)

I called and she claimed it was original paint and was garage kept since new, (1 owner), it is a light tan mist colour. It has alloy wheels, moonroof and is fully loaded, all power ect. The car has had a recent new clutch, rad, altenator, cv joints, muffler sys, battery, ect.

I test drove it, and the power was amazing. I thought my regular MX6 was peppy, but this turbo model will spin its tires easily in second gear as soon as the turbo kicked in, (the roads were a little wet).

The downside is there is a loud rattle coming from the rear, which she claimed needed new shocks. The 205/15" tires are also pretty bald. The engine also hesitated a little when I booted it in second gear, perhaps new plugs would help, but who knows what the problem is? It has plenty of power, but definately has a miss or something. Booting it in first gear there was no hestation at all, just alot of wheelspin!

The car is very sharp, but is not really in as good of shape mechanically as car I already own. The turbo car also has electronic suspension to select soft, reg and sport modes.

I called Canadian Tire and they said it has rear struts and it would cost $575 to replace both. Ouch!

Now, I'm not sure if I should buy this car. I like the hatchback and the turbo is cool, (even though I'm sure it will eat more gas). The owners intimated they are open to offers and I suspect they will take $700-$750, ($500US), which is not a lot of money, if its a car worth fixing.

What do you experts think? Should I bite the bullet and buy it?? Can I get a better deal on the rear struts or do the work myself??? (I am somehwhat handy mechanically). I would hate to lose it as it is what I was looking for. Is there anything else I should check for??

·
Registered
391 Posts
that would be a good price for me, if i can find one of those for that price, i think i may have a new rally car project! :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I got my 91 mx6 Gt for 400.00 needing a new power window switch, and a new climate control knob...

I got my 91 PGT for 300.00 needing new front wheel bearings, and lifters...

I got my second gen. LS for 3,000 needing new cvjoints, and brakes... since then I've replaced the motor (in the process of replacing it again) clutch, flywheel, timing belt, lock solynoids, and many other things as well that I cant even remember.

Since then I have had no problems with either first gen... the mx6 had 115,000 miles, and the probe had 83,000 miles when purchased...

X

·
0 Posts
Well, the car is in the Vancouver area, RallyeSuzuki, in South Surrey, but the body is perfect and looks brand new, so I don't know if you'd want to demo derby it or whatever...I'm going to look at it again today and will decide...it was just parked on the side of the road and is not advertised yet...maybe if I don't take it and your interested I can give you their ph. number...

·
Registered
111 Posts
anytime you get the original owner and its cheap... DO IT! Jeez man don't hesitate you could resale it for 2x.....

X

·
0 Posts
yep, you are probably right...there are two 88/89 626 Turbos in the paper for sale, at $3500 and $3800...who knows what shape they are in...?

this one for maybe $800 Canadian seems like a bargain, and the body is perfect, it has the moonroof, but I think I'm going to pass on it cuz:

Can't see any water in the new rad & the rad overflow resivoir is empty...
The steering is quite stiff at low speeds, seems like the power steering is stuck on highway mode?
The Shifter is quite stiff going into second gear, perhaps shifter bushings shot?
Tires are worn out
Rear struts are completley gone and are rattling
Trunk release switch doesn't work
Gas gauge doesn't work in electronic dash

That's what I've found so far...maybe the steering rack needs replacing, or maybe the electronic steering control?

My non-turbo model runs perfectly, despite having 180k miles, so I think I'll just keep it and let someone else gamble on the hatchback beauty...

·
Registered
190 Posts
how much would a 1989 mx6 gt 4ws with 90000 mile one it be worth it has been smoked in a burn mark on front seat and one in the back and dented hood and fenders both front but runs great i think it just need new fenders and maybe paint

1 - 20 of 24 Posts