Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats happened here?????

ok, yesterday i got my 626 dynoed. its a stock 2.2 turbo with a pod filter. i got the timing advanced and the boost raised by about 2 pound. official reading came out at 121kw @5150rpm at 13.5psi.

last night when i was driving everything was running fine, when i stopped to put petrol. i turned the car on and the radio wasnt working and it was running a bit rough. i pulled out and gave it some stick. i think the boost spiked as it read close to 17pound during which i heard a beep (???). i pulled over and checked under the hood, the whole manifold and turbo was glowing bright red! ive heard of this happening before, is it due to the car running rich or what? the car i kept driving and it continued to run rough then all of a sudden the radio came back on and the car was running smoothly again. i didnt boost it at all after that and it eventually stopped glowing red. anyone know what could have happened?

·
Premium Member
4,973 Posts
SixSick6 said:
Your car probably was running rough due to what seems like a bad alternator (the radio turning off is a clue)
I agree. Charge up the battery with an external charger and see how it does for a little bit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the reply guys. so should i get a new alternator or what? i just found this happening very coincidental with getting the tune on the dyno and thought it might have something to do with it.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
blitzmile said:
thanks for the reply guys. so should i get a new alternator or what? i just found this happening very coincidental with getting the tune on the dyno and thought it might have something to do with it.
Did you read my post? Before you get a new alternator, run the car at idle and check battery voltage. Also do as Sick said and check to make sure the belt's tight.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Go to a parts store and have the alternator tested. If you dont want to take it off go to advance auto parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts