Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that a few of the 2nd gen MX-6's you guys and gals have in Australia have the 4WS feature. What's it like to drive one??? Is it all that it's cracked up to be? I heard the main advantages were faster lane changes and a smaller turning radius. Is the system pretty reliable, and is it costly to repair/maintain?

What's it like in autocross events? Does it help a lot in the twisties? It's too bad they never offered 4WS in North American for the 2nd gens (or at least that I know of). I would have really liked to see how the car handled using that system.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
it can be costly to repair, but until mine does im cheerin!

its helpful in carparks, and the car is a lot more responsive when it comes to sharp weaving through roads. eg where theres traffic islands etc etc

ive had lots of fun with it and i sure hope it does not break

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
i found with the 1st gen, 2ws is a little tail happy, and 4ws hugs a lot more

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
I can give you my opinon

Of all the 2nd gen 4WS I've driven, it's not the same as equivlent models of any other car. Even other Mazda's the 929 HD and eunos 800/melinia.
The Mx-6 2nd gen has a almost subtile feel untill you go around a aroundabout or land change quickly or tight parking you notcie it.

I find on a 1st gen it's noticable always.

2nd gen gives a much more pleasing feel IMO. I usually forgot how much a longer wheel base the car was.

It's got a much less notice when it's changing phase. Much more stable over a stock 1st gen but I think it has more to do with suspension settings.

a 929 4Ws moves I think about 10mm more then any of the FWD 4WS systems.
That was very unnoticed system untill above 90km/h and mostly parking. Much more anoying I found.

I'd driven no Mx-6 2nd gen 2WS but many 626's. When pushing mildly it always gives a more confident feel. but when really pushing It's still got that feel of out of it's deapth.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
yes the turning circle is a little different to what you expect. its very easy to clip the inside edge of a roundabout but if you are paying attention it is fine.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I have driven my 626 hatch (93) and trust me, i drove a 92 gen 2 with AWS, it was like sex on wheels, never driven anything that cournered like that, its insane

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
yeah, 4WS is fun. its soo noticable when doin a u-turn, or going round a roundabout... when the steering is at full lock. i've never driven a 1st gen, but i'm sure it would be simmilar.

yep, i love it :D

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
The only reason I bought the MX-6 was because it had 4WS. It really changes the drive dynamics and weight distribution to take some of the stress away from the front tyres (ultimately distributing the weight more towards rear left or rear right) thus reducing understeer A LOT!

However, you would need good tyres if you're driving in the wet - as slightly worn tyres make the 4WS tail happy in the wet ... in the dry though, it's hard to lose the back of the car unless you're really trying!

All in all - it's a very good handling car! It's like driving a rear wheel drive car without the risk of snapping it around the other way under a heavy throttle ... very good if you don't know much about throttle control!

RdS - you're not supposed to fully lock a 4WS unit too much - that's what usually causes them to prematurely fail!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I heard it's wise not to turn the steering wheel all the way over to the limit since it places a lot of stress on the system. Meh, I do it anyways, but hehe I'm just a rebel!

So in wet conditions, the 4WS can actually cause oversteer? I'm surprised they offered it in that many vehicles in Australia like the 929 and Millenia. I guess North Americans just couldn't get used to the different handling feel of 4WS (?). They had it on the Nissan 240SX (HICAS) a while back, and I think on the Prelude as well as some of the 1st gen MX-6's apparently, but it's never really taken off here. Could it be due to some problems in snowy conditions?

I bet in snow, the 4WS might be more problematic resulting in easier spinouts. You guys don't get much snow over there hey? :D

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
If you're tyres are shit it can make your oversteer - but only when you're pushing it. I've lost the back a few times in the wet of late (but I have no tread on my tyres atm :p)

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
ive just rotated my tires so i have good front and crappy back tires. even in the wet i still havent had any problems ever..........meh maybe im not pushing it hard enough :D

still even taking a "25kmh" corner at 55-60 approx.....in the wet.....it was only the front end that started understeering, the back was fine.

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
Cromax said:
RdS - you're not supposed to fully lock a 4WS unit too much - that's what usually causes them to prematurely fail!
really?! thanks for the warning:tup: having to pay for shit that didnt need to break is the last think i need :cry:

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
HHBL said:
Yeah, I heard it's wise not to turn the steering wheel all the way over to the limit since it places a lot of stress on the system. Meh, I do it anyways, but hehe I'm just a rebel!

So in wet conditions, the 4WS can actually cause oversteer? I'm surprised they offered it in that many vehicles in Australia like the 929 and Millenia. I guess North Americans just couldn't get used to the different handling feel of 4WS (?). They had it on the Nissan 240SX (HICAS) a while back, and I think on the Prelude as well as some of the 1st gen MX-6's apparently, but it's never really taken off here. Could it be due to some problems in snowy conditions?

I bet in snow, the 4WS might be more problematic resulting in easier spinouts. You guys don't get much snow over there hey? :D

They came in aus spec models as 80% of low volume sellers in australia like the Mx-6 were higher spec right out of factory and more in line with the J-spec models so it's easier to make them off the same assembly line.

In fact the HD 929 has so many things that are J-spec and only found on the J-spec and models sold here.

·
Registered
886 Posts
HHBL said:
So in wet conditions, the 4WS can actually cause oversteer?

Install a thicker 18mm rear sway bar on a 4WS 2nd Gen and the rear end will gently drift out in the dry on roundabouts if you push it hard enough.

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
mxchaos said:
Any power steering should not be held constantly on full lock for more than a few seconds, regardless of 4ws or not
2G's 4WS racks mechanically fail under extremely heavy conditions ... many reviews have said this ... however, you're right - fully locking the steering damages the PS fluid ... which then leads to fucking up the power steering rack ;)

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Actually I think you will find they merchanically fail - when changes are made to the car's set-up. Like excessive lowering and larger wheels.

In fact I've found all the latter model 4WS's love Ps fluid and they boil it in summer a bit.
In fact 2nd gen front and rear's are priced well compared with the 929 and 800 racks'
the 800 is almost the same system. I know a couple that have copped it - driven same everyday untill 19's lowering and failure.
As for Full lock damaging Ps fluid - That's a new one to me.

Ps fluid dies due to age and heat. - PS fluid is pumped continously - the PS systme just switches it on and off. and vary's it's rate.
Unlike a Auto Box, it's only cooling sourse it it's trave lto the rear rack in 4Ws systems and a return loop commonly mounted out front on many cars.
1st gen's it's in the front gaurd.
In a new holden it's Finned - found most Gen3's have it finned and many have mistaken it for the auto cooler.

Full lock will not damage PS fluid - especially Drexon3. It' all heat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My mother has a 2G 2.5L 5speed AWS. Done 160000km and its starting to cost a bit in fuel and maintenance. The front lower arm bushes need replacement and she tends to fry the clutches - she needs an auto.

Anyway, on topic. My very experienced wheel alignment tech told me that the rear rack-ends can seize with the result that sometimes the rear tie-rod breaks (ouch!!) Ours checked out ok (phew!)

As for the front rack, ours needs an overhaul apparently (if it's something else someone knows about please let me know) as the steering has become heavy and won't self centre anymore for any amount of lock up to about 60 degrees from straight ahead on the steering wheel. Apparently this is another common fault and involves some seals or something in the rack. A 2nd hand rack runs about NZ$200 + Labour whereas the recon option runs about NZ$700 drive in/driveout.

The car is only worth about NZ$1500 to sell here but it's so nice to drive when going properly that I'm thinking of keeping it for a toy.

I drove it over some ranges on tight gravel roads a few years back and noticed that whenever the back started to drift, you could feel the rear rack working via variations in weight on the steering wheel (hydraulic drag?). I suspect the 4WS computer is tied in to the ABS system somehow and senses when the back gets loose then gives the back wheels a bit of turn-in to catch it. Dunno for sure though - maybe I imagined it.

I've been away from this forum for a few years but will be poking around in here a bit more nowadays. If I keep Mum's MX, it'll be mainly a track/club car so I wan't to suss out the performance potential/costs and see if I can find out whether that AWS will bite me in the a** under racing conditions.

Good to be back:)

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
Losiho said:
Install a thicker 18mm rear sway bar on a 4WS 2nd Gen and the rear end will gently drift out in the dry on roundabouts if you push it hard enough.
I've experienced that a few times, if you give it a boot in the roundabout, especially with the tyres on the way out, the 4ws seems to assist it swinging the rear end out :D Does get annoying occasionally.

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
I find that the fun part of owning the 4WS :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts