Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what kind of labour is required for installing phenos? what does the mech guy have to do exactly?

cheers

·
Registered
806 Posts
How much time they charge for it, I don't know. But it's pretty much the procedure of doing the rear VC gasket, only instead of replacing the Intake gasket with a new one, you/they use the phenolic spacer.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
He needs to remove the Intake Manifold from the engine in order to have access to the intake manifold gaskets. What's basically involved is the removal of a lot of wire harnesses and vaccum lines and that pesky hidden bolt in the back of the manifold.

on another note, I found that you don't really have to remove the manifold from the engine completely. Basically you still have to remove most of the bolts that hold it down and the throddle body linkage but after that, you cn leave all of the hoses that are attached to the throddle body in place. What I did once (not on my car) was just disconnect everything from the pass side of the manifold and the fuel rail, etc and then just sorta FOLD the manifold over into the drivers side of the engine. Saved me a whole lot of time and I didn;t have to remove a bunch of the vacum hoses and stuff.

·
Registered
806 Posts
yeah, that sounds like a good idea, but try to keep it all straight. It helps to tag the lines or something and also make a few notes especially if you haven't done it before. That's when I plan on doing mine, next time I have the rear VC off.

G

·
0 Posts
If you're getting around the 70K mile mark you may consider replacing the valve cover gaskets as well. While they can be reused, how many times do you have the manifold torn apart? But the spacers themselves replace any gasket used here. However the directions received with the spacers do recommend "putting gasket sealant on each side of the spacer before putting on the head" (that's what's written).

·
Registered
108 Posts
?????

i was curious about this subject cause i hear a lot about it but i was curious has anyone actually done this yet? or is everyone still waiting for someone else to buy the phenos? and also what is the website addy where i can find them again ? any help is appreciated /

1 - 8 of 8 Posts