Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought "New Members" were only limited to the "New Members" forum for their first couple posts or first week or whatever to curb spam?

Not that I'm not interested in "Free Mortgage 4 u 2 grow it yuo pen0r larger" or "Fendi, Guchi Handbags!!!!" (I know it's spelled Gucci, if you're correcting me then you missed my point ;) ) or my own personnal favorite "NOKIA CELLPHONES U SAVE NOW!!!!"

But what's the deal lately?

I've been leaving this message as a response as well as reporting the posts:

SixSick6 said:
Hi. I noticed your profile and I think ur VERY SEXY. I am home alone and tend to get VERY NAUGHTY on CAM (tee-hee). Holla back when your wife isn't around.;) (tee-hee-hee)
But can't it be stopped so it doesn't have to come to that? I don't remember as much spam as the site has had lately, ever. Rarely ever would I see spam on the site.

I don't know....whatever.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
i didnt know new members were only limited to one forum. but who knows they probably have tricks up their sleeves in the same way theyre able to post up working links, while legitimate new members always get the "new members arent allowed to post links...."

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
SixSick6 said:
Hi. I noticed your profile and I think ur VERY SEXY. I am home alone and tend to get VERY NAUGHTY on CAM (tee-hee). Holla back when your wife isn't around.;) (tee-hee-hee)
What do I have to do so you'll leave this for me? :jump:

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
SixSick6 said:
But that's the point, they never used to exist at all.
but thats the way the world is changing. anywhere advertising can be distributed, it will be. i even get spam SMS messages on my mobile phone, and calls throughout the day from indian salespeople wanting to know if i wish to refinance my mortgage

it sucks and its annoying, but thats how things go these days

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
advertisers are becoming smarter/more ruthless/more annoying

i remember from a few years back when there was some issue about the government here selling (or supposedly) information about people to advertisement agencies so that they could target you with specific advertising

although i have been suprised that the spammers on here are so random. i would expect more automotive-themed spam. instead its the usual crap (ipod nanos or something)

then again some poor guy is sitting at a computer somewhere getting paid shit all to post up endless spam on any forum they can find. who knows maybe someones feeding their family in the 3rd world because of it. kinda like those indian salespeople

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
the spam doesnt bother me.... its a good place to whore up to see how long it will be before it gets closed :lol:

some of the funniest posts come out of those threads :lol:

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you're still missing the point though. The point is that spam has gotten to a level where it's noticed and it's never been this bad before. Luckliy it's only Nokia phones, Gucci handbags and iPod Nano's. It's only a matter of time before full on Pr0n adds appear. :shrug:

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
no the point is that "spammers" (let it be a collective for whatever business is putting up the ads) are catching on that forums are a viable place to put up ads. ANYWHERE that people frequent, the spammers target. thats the idea. what makes me most angry is that my phone isnt an all hours way to try and pawn off crap onto me.

surely you must see that things change like this. its a coporate world. in the last few years, advertising has really been going downhill. its just so "in your face" that i dont care who is selling what. if i want something ill go look for it myself

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
You're still missing the point. Spamming use to rarely ever occur largely in part due to the New Member process. At one point New Members were only allowed to post in the New Member forums for a certain amount of time or posts. Scooby himself made a thread about this when spam was at an all time high awhile ago. Forwhatever reason, it was switched and New Members apparently were able to post whatever, whenever, wherever again. It seems to me that a cure for spam would be to enact that n00b Law once again.

http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125074&highlight=spam

Take a look at the California forum:
http://www.mx6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29

All of those deleted threads contained links from New Members. The best/worst was a "White Power" moron.

As said, luckily the links are only rated G and PG at this point.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
ive always asked that myself when theres been spam, no answers though.

no doubt in the same way they bypass the link filter

didnt i mention they were cunning?:lol:

you could always ban posting outright for new members for 1 or 2 days? no spammer is going to bother coming back in a day or 2 to post. code some strong routines that cant be bypassed

if things get worst it might be necessary

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
I am not sure what happened to the Link Restriction for new members but it appears that it is no longer working. I will look into it.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
RdS said:
or atleast make em display some sort of mx6/626/probe/tx5 knowlege before they can post.

a little quiz perhaps? :shrug:
If it was that way, the active members would drop in half. Not like it'd be a bad thing to get rid of all the fools who still find difficulty searching.

-Tyler

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
readit - in a thread soon to be deleted said:
i am finally using my bluetooth for my car navigation. before, i never used the bluetooth until i met across nav4all. i downloaded it onto my mobile phone. with a gps receiver, it works pretty saving but incredible accurate without even a tinny tiny error so far.
well theres more of them. at least heres an example of something targeted at automotive forums.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.