Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, here's the problem.........I have a '93 mx-6, LS V-6. I've just changed the oil sending unit and the car runs great, but when I use the fresh air button in the car, I get a weird, almost burning smell emminating from it. I checked under the hood, and low and behold ther is some sort of white smoke(light and not too bad, but wreaks)comming from what looks like in between the engine and the radiator. Right under the air intake scoop. I removed the air intake scoop, and looked but I can't locate a leak. all my fluid levels are normal, and have been for some time now, but that smell Is unbearable! I thought it might be burning oil, but I'm not sure. I have lost alittle oil though. In any case, what do you think it could be, if the smell/smoke is seeping into my fresh air intake? On recirculate, the air is fine. Could it be my valve cover gaskets? And if it is are they too hard to replace myself? If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
any tailpipe smoke?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I haven't seen any smoke. There was alot of grime and oil on my bumper before I changed the oil sending unit, but after I changed it I haven't had that problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gunk your engine, but do it carefully, that will help you allocate the leak. It could just be something sitting there from a while ago.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just experienced the same thing recently. The oil pressure sensor was slowly dripping oil when the engine was running and oil pressure was up. It didn't leak if the car wasn't running so it was kinda hard to find. It would dip down onto the exhaust and burn. Stunk something awful. To see it you have to get down under the car and look up between the rad and engine. I have a 96 V6 and on mine it's beside the oil filter. It could also be your filter leaking, it would probably drip onto the exhaust too. You may have to take the plastic bottom cover to get a really good look. I also jacked up the front end.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This might sound weird but it happended to me some years back.

My MX6 picked up a plastic supermarket bag that attached itself to the underbody of the engine. The bag proceeded to melt over several hours producing a disgustingly obnoxious smell into the cabin on fresh air setting. Particularly bad when car is stationary. No smell evident on recirc setting.

Once I realised what it was, we had to use a wire brush to remove the remnants of the bag.

I will never forget the smell !!!!!

Check under the engine for any flotsom/jetsom before you move onto anything else. It may be as simple as that !!

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts