Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
To be honest, I hadn't heard about the heated treated exhaust valves until recently, and now everyone is saying that the GT head has them, anyone have any factual proof?

I put a LX head on my '6 without any ill results at all.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Dex said:
the exhaust valves in the turbo head I believe are sodium filled.
Well I must say, I have never heard that term before, must be a U.S. thing. Sodium filled hey, you mean... like.... filled with sodium?
Sounds like they need to be fitted with a left handed spring compressor.

I was under the impression (well actually told directly by my automotive engineering works,J.O.H. Engineering) that the F2 & F2T had exactly the same head. Direct swap.

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
crusty said:
Well I must say, I have never heard that term before, must be a U.S. thing. Sodium filled hey, you mean... like.... filled with sodium?
Solid a normal temps, liquid at combustion temps. Like a liquid cooled exhaust valve (helps to get the heat further up the stem, closer to the valve guide, to conduct heat away from the valve head).

All that being said, it's used on lots of cars, trucks, etc. I have no idea if F2T is any of them.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Well, they do have the exact same head. I do remember reading that the exhaust valves on the turbo head are sodium filled to cope with the added heat. I could be wrong though, I will try to find some facts to back this up

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
I just phoned Mazda to get a $ on a VCG, so I asked him if the part# was the same for the Exhaust valves(turbo v n/a). They weren't. Then i asked him if the Turbo exhaust valve was sodium filled, he had know idea what I was talking about. The rest of the conversation was a bit like a prank call gone wrong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.