Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have no idea what this is. i was driving through town 1 day with a friend, my car was warmed up for 15mins before driving, about an hour into the drive, my car starts "puttering". what i mean by that is, around 2.5k rpm it will sputter until i hit 3k. i explained it to a guy at my local advanced auto parts store and he couldnt place the problem, he assumes the fuel pump. does anyone have a clue?

·
Registered
143 Posts
could be the alternator is going out. the car would probably have died though. try running a cheap fuel additive that cleans injectors can get at most convienent stores even. then check your codes to see if you have an electrical problem. x2 on disty maybe going out. is kinda hard to tell. does it do that everytime?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Sounds like ignition. I'd pull the plug wires and check for oil down in the spark plug wells. While you're doing that, pull the plugs and check if they're due for replacement.

If it was wet/rainy that day, you might also want to check the condition of the plug wires and look for carbon tracks in the distributor cap and on the rotor.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it happens every now and then, and only when the car is warm, i added some STP fuel stuff from walmart my last fill up which was tuesday, it still does it, not as bad though. my dad says itll take the whole tank for that stuff to have done its job so by next week if it hasnt stopped, im gonna check my spark plugs, then all of the other stuff. ever since we've had the car we havent changed anything, no spark plugs no distributor, and thats been for about 4yrs now. i have no idea on the alternator either, i just changed the belt like 2months ago

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
hm. check:

coolant level
fuel filter
distributor
ignition wires
ignition plugs
crank sensor
throttle position sensor
intake air control

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just wanted to update, it took me a while but i finally got it done, it was the spark plugs. i changed them out, lets just say the tip was like a dried brown, and my dad said it was letting oil in, the threads were oily so. i changed them to NGK Iridium IX. i feel a huge difference in the motor and im glad i got it fixed, sorry for the bump of the thread

1 - 7 of 7 Posts