Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys i need to know what this thing is...

i went and bought a oil pressure sensor for the part that is leaking..but its not the correct part(i.e. its not the oil sensor that is leaking)

let me describe the part when standing in front of the engine and looking at it:
1. it is on the left of the dissy and right above/behind the fan sensor

2. i removed the square adaptor that fits on top of the sensor...and the sensor plugs in with 2 electrical-looking adaptors(i.e. looks like a wall plug but with 2 smaller adaptors)

3. the wires that plug into the sensor go to the back of the engine(i.e. to the firewall side)

4. the bolt that actually screws into the head of the engine i6 hexagonal(6 sided) and i estimate about 1.5 cm in diamater

now i really need to know what this part is ASAP as i have exams starting wednesday and i need to change this part before then

thanks guys :)

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i just unbolted it from the engine head...and the base that goes IN the engine is a solid piece of metal(i.e. no holes or gaps)...

it is about 0.75cm wide and about 3cm long
i will draw a crappy little picture of how it looks below:

-|--|- --- these 2 things are the metal adaptors
-|-----|- that plug into the square wire | | adaptor plugging into the part
---------- --- this is the 6 sided base
| |
| | --- this is the actual part that is IN the
| | engine
---

edit: looks like that pic i drew game out ****ty...maybe u guys can still tell me what it is...???

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Can you take a picture of it.. I don’t suppose it is some part of the return air system.. Sometimes it can be oily in higher mileage or over boosted motors (blow-by)... or ..:shrug:

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my car is stock boost...but im quite sure it is some sort of oil sensor..(maybe temperature?) cause the part it plugs into the head of the engine has oil IN it...the sensor itself looks very old and worn which is why it is leaking

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
It's the coolant temp sensor for the ECU. An easy test is pull it out and start the engine, see what comes out. any oil present will be coming from the valve cver gasket. Degrease the area and look where the oil leak originates.

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
Mazda workshop manual says,

Thermo Switch No.2

Now this switch is designed to turn on the second fan (AC fan)

Thermo Switch No.1 Main switch on at 97 C

Thermo Switch No.2 Additional switch on at 108 C

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thx for the help crusty and craig...
so where is the valve cover gasket?
and craig said there may be a crack in the head if there is oin leaking from that sensor..any input guys?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok guys ..with thanks to craig and crusty...ive narowed it down...

here is the info:
1. i have oil in the spark plugs wells(the ones closer to the dissy/passeneger side have more oil...i.e. the most oil is in 4, 3, 2, then 1 in that order)

2. oil leaking from coolant temp sensor

so does this sound like a leaking valve cover gasket?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I don’t know how it could get into behind the temp sensor unless it is just drizzling over it on the out side?.. .. but certainly in to the wells it is the gasket. .. the VCG is probably one of the easier jobs to do on your motor .. just don’t over tighten the bolts ands use silicone/sealant in the corners..

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Funnily enough, when i went down stairs last night to check that sensor, i noticed a leak from my valve cover gasket:( . As Mr.MX6 said though, it is dead simple to replace. I think there is a how to in the project forum, but if not, I assume you know where the valve cover is......? shiney silver thing, centre of the engine bay. Should have a "mazda" badge on it. If not, you may have the wrong car. Find your car, and lift the bonnet.
The valve cover is held down by bolts, undo them. Back each one off just a bit and work in a diagonal method(ie.like wheel nuts, top left, bottom right,ect.)when they're all loose, remove them.
I'm not sure, but I think the bolts are different lenghts, make sure you lay the bolts down in the order they came out in . I always draw a rough picture of what I'm working with on thick cardboard, punch holes in the bolt positions and actually "fit" the bolts in the cardbord (as I remove them) in the correct position..... what can I say? I'm a Virgo. There's NOTHING worse than doing up the last bolt only to realize it's the wrong length.

Clean ALL the gunk & old gasket off the head & cover, this is VERY important.

GOOD TIME TO PAINT YOUR VALVE COVER IF YOU SO DESIRE.

Use a suitable gasket sealant, I can't remeber the name of my one at home , but it's RED . Position the Gasket carefully and replace the cover, MAKE SURE AT THIS POINT THE GASKET HAS SEATED PROPERLY. Replace bolts finger tight, check gasket again. Torque the bolts down, if you have a manual it will tell you which order to torque the bolts, if not, work diagonally again. Do not go nutz tightening the bolt(disable "gorilla" mode). Continually check that the gasket has not moved out of position as you go. Hope this helps, someone please correct me if i've missed something.

BE VERY CAREFUL with the hose out the top of the cover, it WILL be brittle.
Also, always lube the bolts (any bolts) before replacing, it is the ONLY way to get correct torque readings. recheck bolts after a week, retorque if needed.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh thanks soooo much guys.
crusty and mr.mx6 and craig/cam22t....u guys have probably saved me alot of money as i was just about to unload my car to the mechanic and say "heres my car...fix it"
and yes i know this is dumb..but i got uni exams starting tomorrow and dont have time for this niggly **** hehe

anyway...another guy in the 1G forum had the same problem as me..and he said that his problem was a bad Distributor Seal....but would this leak on the INSIDE of the sensor hole?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok another question about the valve cover gasket...
i cant see any oil on the outsode of the gasket ... so will a bad VCG leak INTERNALLY? or externally? cause there is no visible external signs of oil leak around the VCG..

but there is visible seaping around where the dissy meets the head

any input guys?

·
Registered
454 Posts
It's recommended that you use some gasket sealant around the dizzy area as this area is prone to leaking

If you have a manual, take a look in it and it actually shows you recommended places to apply the sealant.

If the VCG wasn't put on properly, it could have little gaps for oil to seep out. Technically, a sign of a poor VCG is oil weeping here and there.

The best way to put the rocker cover back on is to start from the middle and work your way out diagonally as others said. This allows the gasket to spread out from the center and allow for even contact along the head.

If for example you torqued it all up from the outside in, you might end up with little ripples where oil could leak.

my recommendation - gasket sealant. Always goes a long way.

Regards

Zako

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
PLEASE go get a $2 can of degreaser from Supercheap or crazy clarks. Spray it around the area & hose it off. Make sure it is totally clean. Run the car for a bit(a good idea is to hop in the car an drive back down to supercheap with your receipt and empty can and demand they replace it because it was empty when you tried to use it!)
Now get out, open the bonnet & check to see where the leak is coming from.

there is no visible external signs of oil leak around the VCG..
Previously you said you had oil in all spark plug recesses. If you've got oil in #1 spark plug recess, i can't imagine your VCG isn't leaking.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thx for the tip crusty and zako..i will do that today right after the coolant temp sensor is delivered..

whoever has the handbook/manual..can u please list all the places i need to apply sealant other than the VCG

thx guys :)

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lol ..looks like the seal didnt work on the "post reply" button ;)
but seriousely..where should i be putting sealant?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
oh ok..i thought i should put it all around the edges of the valve cover.

nyway..i took crusty's tip and degreased engine and checked for leaks...there is a minor leak the right edge of the valve cover gasket...

but once again i found oil in the dissy cap...so looks like i have to change the dissy seal/O-ring also

any pointers on this one?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts