Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Now -I think it could be done really well for less. Back when I started gathering parts and putting them on in 2005, megasquirt was barely a reality, plug and play didnt exist far as I know and I was ignorant to invest the money into it when it came out so I went with undocumented/no support, setups.

If I was starting all over today, I would go right for the PNPMSG2, the coil pack ignition setup and the 36-1 wheel. Im not trying to glorify the product, but simply its the easiest to install, use, and reliable with support. Witch would run you around $1100, Then find a set of Millenia S injectors, drop them in the rails, Swap out the fuel pump for a Walbro and you could basically build the rest around all that with whatever you can find cheap ebay stuff, used stuff or brand new name brand stuff

I have alot of trial and error into this.. much more then 3grand. :shrug: I hate to think about it because its such a old car and the question lingers in my mind how long do I plan on keeping this? lol.

·
Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
Thanks for the reply King.

I suspect you know me well enough that I try not to do anything to my car unless it is been planned/scooped out. These days I am not a fan when scope creep gets much further than I planned: EG MS Bumper Seamless lol (even though I am very happy with the results)

If I was to turbo, which is looking more likely, I would be buying all the good parts needed to do this job once and right. It has to integrate into my car as a fully DD solution.

But there is another side of the coin I am trying to complete. N/A for 200whp. I believe it is worth my time to finish this path to get the car dynoing in the 190+ for a goal and see what it is like to drive from there. If there is enough "omph" for my taste, I will leave it there.

I suspect turbo could be for another mx6. Maybe even do the work on that one and see where it goes :)

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
If you did as I just stated above, it would still be a daily driver. I could daily drive my turbo mx6 if I wasent afraid of people at work scratching it, also its very dirty where I work. This thing runs better then my bone stock black mx6.. much much smoother running, idles lower and nicer and I can cruise effortlessly..and kick it down for boost without a hiccup.

The great thing about the PNPMS is it comes preloaded for a stock platform,the boost is what you tune it for..and I just let autotune dial that in..and after watching the datalogs its damn near perfect. You could install it and run it NA for as long as needed..when boost comes its ready already, preloaded with a fuel map for FI.

Heres some videos of it from yesterday..theres more on my channel

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Bored.. Did a rough estimate of what I have into the turbo setup alone

Turbonetics T3/T4 .63 $ 800.00 From Ebay
TiAL Q.11 Q Series Blow Off Valve 50mm -Plain 11psi spring $250.00 From Ebay
Tial Sport Genuine F38 38mm Wastegate .25bar Yellow Spring $250.00 From Ebay
Stainless Turbo Pipes XO2 Syle $350.00 From Ebay
Milenia S Injectors $120.00 From junkyard
MBX Fuel Pressure Regulator setup $250.00 From MbxMotorsports
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump $80.00 From Ebay
Custom Bar/Plate Intercooler $150.00 From Ebay
2.5 Aluminum Piping $60.00 From Ebay
2.0 Steel Mandrel Piping $65.00 From Columbia River Mandrel bending
Various Couplers $100 From Ebay
Various T-Bolt Band Clamps $65.00 From Ebay
3AN Earls Stainless Braided Turbo Oil Feed Line $30.00 From Summitracing
Billet Turbo Oil Drain Flange $20.00 From Ebay
Oil Drain Hose/Fittings/ and Weld in oil pan bung $40.00 From Local Stores
AEM Uego Wideband Controller $190.00 From Ebay
2.5 Mandrel Exhaust Pipe Bend Kit $80.00 From Columbia River Mandrel bending
2.5 Straight Exhaust Pipe $20.00 From Local Stores
2.5 Aero Turbine Resonator $70.00 From Ebay
2 1/16 Auto Meter Ultralite Boost Gauge $60.00

Megasquirt Plug and Play G2 $799.00 From Diyautotune
Quad Spark $89.00 From Diyautotune
Ign-6 Coil Pack $75.00 From Diyautotune
Wiring and Delpi Weather pack connectors $40.00 From Ebay
36-1 2000 Mazda 626 Crank Pulley $60.00 From Ebay
IAT Sensor with pigtail $22.50 From Diyautotune
Aluminum IAT Bung $18.00 From Ebay

TunerStudio Full Verison $60.00 From EFI Analytics
USB to Serial Interface $18.00 From EFI Analytics

About $4300.00
If I included all the stuff that didnt work more like $5500 But I was able to recover alot of that by reselling it.

Worth it? :shrug: Its a nice old car that is very rare in the area..but people dont give it a second glance.. its not a WRX or STI. I know of some older gentlemen that build up hotrods over 10+ years with 4x what I have into this..and they only drive them maybe 5 times a year. So its kinda like that :p

Also found some pictures of the engine bay transformation over the years..

·
Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
I do like your recent incarnation of the engine bay. The photo with the fitted pieces in the engine bay, I'd suspect it could limit air flow?

As for the Turbo list, thank you. When should I ship my car down so you can begin work? :p

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
They didnt really effect anything.. I did them just to be different at the time..it was something to do.

Ship it down anytime, Im bored out of my mind. All of my projects are done, I havent made a part in weeks. Any normal person would think thats great, go enjoy the stuff, well I like having something to do :)

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I'll drive on up there to play with mine lol I got a ZE in my storage unit needing some lovin.

·
Registered
9,653 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Gaaaah, that is the perfect 6! I've been away for a long while but man am I glad I came back to see this!

I'm dying to get back in the mx-6 game, I want it to be my version of a "classic" car like the hot rod guys you mentioned.

Great work King!

·
Registered
508 Posts
^ Just send me an email and I can hook you up with one. I still do them, just dont advertise it anywhere.

oh and.. forgot about these... KL Boost Sounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lktc5YlR6x4&list=UUiar5kwPWVvx7xJVReEsTSg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScDBdcKloOU&list=UUiar5kwPWVvx7xJVReEsTSg
Hey man, sorry to revive an old thread but I was wondering if you'd be willing to fab me up a strut bar that will work with my ZE. I had one of yours on my old 6 but forgot to take it off when I traded it. I have an idea for one. let me know. thanks

21 - 34 of 34 Posts