Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am in need of pics of a wheel bearing press. professional/jury rigged idk as long as it works. if anyone has plans on howto build one or would like to share please do.

both of my front bearings are bad and local shops want $300+ PER SIDE!!! so screw them ill build myself a press...

·
Registered
564 Posts
i could imagine that it you used a shitty bottle jack it would work like a press if you had some kind of frame to put it in... i wouldn't recommend it at all.

call a machine shop or somewhere that does machine work, there is a napa 2 blocks away from my house that did my buddies for like under $120 for both sides including seals

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
I bought a press off ebay here in Aus, for $149 buy it now....similar to this one :

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/20-TON-HYDRAULIC-WORKSHOP-PRESS_W0QQitemZ290285329875QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Business_Industrial_Farming_Agriculture_Farming_Agriculture_Equipment?hash=item290285329875&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318

I am sure you could get one similar in the US.

I thought about welding up a frame, but I could not even buy the parts for the price of the ebay one! and so far its been pretty good, nothing wrong with the quality.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
how powerful does it have to be? i saw a 2 ton on craigslist for like $75 will that do me? also what do i need to do/build jig wise to be able to press them in and out correctly

or if 2ton is not enough would this work?

Summit SUM-907032 - Summit® Shop Presses - summitracing.com

$90 for a 6 ton

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
I bought a 12 Ton, and I dont reckon I'd want any less......

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
does it matter wheter its an A or H frame press? and also what is the distance i need the press to move? i see one says minimum working distance 3" one says 1 1/2" ...

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Depends a bit on how its made.....the H-frame isn't as strong but it gives you more room for awkward shaped things, I'd probably get the H.

travel.....unless the support is infinitely adjustable (which mine isnt) or you have an endless number of different thickness bearing plates (which I dont) you actually need about twice as much travel as you think you do.

The bearing is about 2" thick, so you'd need at least that, plus you never get the thing in the position so that you can start pressing at zero travel.

Mine has 6" travel, and I dont reckon you'd want any less than 4" mine only has pretty limited adjustment of the "table" it moves in about 4" increments.

If I feel really energetic, I will drill some more holes to allow it to adjust in half that....

Also I got two 3/4" bearing plates with the press, I had to supplement that with various pieces of steel offcuts, especially when pressing out wheel bearings, thanks to having to support the knuckle at a different height on the other side.
A few peices of thick rectangular hollow section and U-channel dont go astray, along with some steel plate of different thicknesses and sizes

See my write up on how to do it :

http://www.mx6.com/forums/1g-mx6-ge...raulic-press-required-lots-o-pics-pt-1-a.html

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow thanks a TON

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
I suggest the H frame (like in chief tool's thread). The cost is a bit more, but I would imagine it's much more stable when comparing one cheap press to another.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts