Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there.

i think the stock 15" rims are too damn small. would like to go to 16 or 17's. any recommendations? are 16's preferred over 17's? any trouble with going to a larger rim/tire combination? anybody had their speedometer recalibrated for larger rims?... too many questions?

one more: where in Ontario Canada would you recommend I go for rims? any good online resources?

-spish :freak:

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
i have 17in and i think they look good i have 215 40 and i have not speedo problems, 18's look good too, with probaly 225 or 235 40's on them. i have seen 19's on Probes so,

·
Registered
200 Posts
I usually go by the "2 inches bigger than stock rule". I think it is the best compromise between looks & functionality.

·
Registered
39 Posts
rims

Go with 17's. But get some other wheels for the winter time since they are subject to the pot hole problems during the winter months. I live in Denver and bent one of my rims hitting a large pothole. That sucks!!!

later
mx6 power

·
Registered
78 Posts
I asked myself the same question before I bought my rims. I ended up getting 16's. I got those because the ideal tire combo for 16's are 225/50s. I didn't want to go below 50 series tires because I think they're the perfect balance between confort and handling as I won't need to corner any harder than these will provide and I won't worry about bending the rims unless I hit a monster pothole.
Sometimes I wish I got 17's because from a distance the rims don't look that big. Otherwise I'm satified with my discison.
Here's some eye-candy for ya:

BTW, if you want to know how different size wheel/tire combos affect the speedo, go to http://www.sirius.com/~bsquared/tireinfo/tirecalc.html

·
Registered
39 Posts
wheels

They look very nice. Flashy!!!

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Agreed 17" s for sure especially if the cars lowered.
As for the speedo as long as the tyre you put on has the same circumference it will be fine.
Use this link to check what you want Tyre size calculator
215/40/17 are as close as damn it the same as the 205/55/15's stock.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Ive got a set of Konig 18s..... not lowered yet..... but ive been told they wont rub..... and if you havent seen pics of what a 6 looks like lowered on 18s...... I suggest you look into it........ as it looks absolutely amazing..... and i think a big difference over the 17s that every rice boy on the road is riding on..........

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
If the extra inch makes you feel strong enough to place all 17" wheels in to ricer category then I hope you are happy together.

I guess size rearly does matter :sigh:

·
Registered
357 Posts
you say "extra inch" but... its only 4 inches between stock and the largest possible on an mx6 (which btw, is 19x7)...

that "extra inch" really does make a difference. and he was saying that most ricers have 17" which is true... most of them spend so much on electrical tape for "eyebrows" or the hp adding stickers or big mufflers that they can't afford the extra money to make the car look better.

go for 18" its a little bit more expensive, but worth it in the end.

or maybe i'm just biased... :D

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
what types of roads are up in your town and around your area wher eyou drive. do they have pot holes or are they nice. also if you get 17 or 18 keep your stock wheels for the winter in Canada.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
superflymx6 said:
what types of roads are up in your town and around your area wher eyou drive. do they have pot holes or are they nice. also if you get 17 or 18 keep your stock wheels for the winter in Canada.
generally the roads are quite good. i think i am going with a set of 16's and will keep the stock ones for the winter... now if i could just decide what to do about tires... :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Just saying

Not dissing the fellow 6's with 17's..... It looks amazing... I was just commenting it prevents them (civic owners and other such riff-raff) from comparing their car to yours by saying..... Well I have 17s too...... any comparison to a civic hurts me..... personally... Thats all I was saying..... Trying to be different is what an MX6 is all about..... not labelling you a ricer for having 17s... i was thinking of those evil civics when I posted the comment...... sorry for any offense taken. :)

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
miker
No offence was taken! :) you cant get some wheels in 18"
so depending what you want its somtimes all you can get.

rhumen

or maybe i'm just biased... :D

reading your sig Hmmmm I wonder why :)

I think wheels are such a personal thing its each to his own and well "size" OF COURSE IT MATTERS WERE ALL MEN and ever little helps :E :E :E

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hey Miker I see where you were coming from, but around here in the KC area most of those civs and integs got 18's it sickning. I don't see the purpose of putting that big a wheel on such a little car. i did 17's because I did not want the head ache that comes with the 18's ie potholes rough ride. But I must admit they sure look sweet especially when the 6 is lowered. })

1 - 17 of 17 Posts