Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at new wheels and have come up with a few questions:
1) What is the smallest wheel that'll fit around a 330mm (13") brake setup?
(because that's what I'll eventually be getting)
2) If I got the 18" wheels what is the max tyre ratio? i.e. 40/45/50
3) What is the widest wheel tyre combo I can legally fit (including with spacers)
4) If I got 8" wide wheels what is the widest tyre I can fit? and will a wide as possible tyre improve the handling as it has more rubber to road contact?
5) Would wheel and tyre size affect how low I can drop the car? e.g. 18" with 45 tyres.

I've seen 8" wide wheels on ebay supposedly with 245mm tyres on! but the standard rx-8 wheels have 225 on an 8" rim.
My aim is to modify the car so that people wonder if it's some kind of new mazda coupe i.e. modern mazda look.
Which is why I'm looking at rx-8 18" wheels or 6 17" wheels although I'd go for anything that doesn't look wild.
Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Robert

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
The best wheel/tyre combo is a 17" wheel, with 215/45/17 tyres..

This is close enough to keep your speedo accurate.

RX-8 wheels do fit with a spacer, and very low profile tyres.

Wide wheels and tyres will catch on the suspension, so you need spacers, however, too wide, and you will need to get your arches rolled.

John

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Agree with John (Einstein) on this one.

I'm running 17's with 45 series tyres and they're just about as big as I'd want to safely go. If I remember rightly, we have had one (maybe 2) members who have run 18's but it does cause problems with suspension and wheels fouling on full lock.

G

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replys.
I think I'll hold out and save up for some Motegi Trak Lites then.
So 215s are better than 225s?
I like to feel I have a lot of grip cos tyres are the most important part of the car.
Is it true that 225s would fit the Trak Lites? and would they fit the car(with spacers)?
I live in the countryside with lots of twisty roads so I want to up my handling (the most legal way of having fun!)

Thanks

Robert

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been reading around everywhere and doing some research.
If I look for 17" wheels what width should I look at? 7.0/7.5/8.0?
I'm looking for lightweight wheels but it seems a pain in the ass to get anything in the uk, any recommended sites to get alloys from?
I want to spend upto £600.

thanks

Robert

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have run with 18's on my car for the last year. They do not rub at all, anywhere, or on any lock. They will only rub, as someone described above, if you by the wrong fittment for the car. You need to get the correct offset for the car, from memory I think it was 40-45 off set, you NEVER use spacers, as that means the wheel was not a recomended fit for the car, and you absolutly must get the right size tyre. I use 235/ 35 /18, and the rolling radius is as near as the same as the factory fit.
The ride is a little harder, but the steering and corner lateral grip is better from the tyre profile/ shape an 18 gives.

And 17" looks like peanuts when compared;)

In the past I was in the aftermarket wheel trade for 10 years, and the best advice would be to check with a wheel distributor what will fit properly, then chose your design from the list you get given.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,083 Posts
Hi

No rubbing at all. Toyo T1R 215/35R18. Team Dynamics RVRII

Elmer

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's excellent. It means I can get the RX-8 alloys for cheap off ebay!
Does anyone know the best/widest tyre that'll fit the RX-8 alloys? They come standard with 225 but I'd like 235 if possible.
Also, What sort of lowering would I be able to do with 18s on? I'd like to drop it maybe 30mm.

Thanks for all the help

Robert

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Ah, I knew I'd find it! - We had a former member - Kimbelle, who was running 19 inch wheels with eibach (35mm drop) springs.

Photos here:

http://www.mx6.com/forums/uk-pics-vids/123760-mx6-uk-members-photos.html

I've no doubt if you do a search you'll find out exactly what her set up was - she was running Nos as well and had not bad quarter mile times at the Crail Racetrack.

Hope this helps.

G

1 - 9 of 9 Posts