Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to get a new set of tires put on within the next week and I was wondering is it worth it to pick out a set for size and width for rims i dont have? I know I will be getting some but not anytime soon. I like motegi rims ( not sure which exact yet) and I dont want to have to get new tires again when i get rims b/c im not rich. I have 205 60 r 15 right now and i want a little wider tires.
So anyways....
1. What sizes adn widths can I go to without compromising handling?
2. Does it make sense to change my tire size when i know ill eventually be getting rims? or should i get new tires when i get the rims?

P.S. Dont get mad if my questions sound dumb...not everybody knows everything about cars and I notice a lot of people getting eaten alive in here lately!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would say pick out your rims first because this will give you the option to go to 16's 17's or 18's, then go with your tires. The biggest you can get your rim width wise is 7.5, and 225 on the tire. If you go higher you'll probably incounter some rubbing. And about handling the wider you go the better handling your gonna get. I would recommend a 17X7.5 wheel with 225/40/17 tire. I have 18's and 215/35 and the ride sucks. Just my opinion.
Later

·
Registered
787 Posts
Ditto. If you have stock 15's now and get 15" tires to fit, then you wont be able to use them if you get new 16 or 17" rims later. If however the diameter will stay the same (16's now and new 16's to come later), then you should get as big a tire as your current rims will hold, or up to the size you would want to run on the new rims.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yes you have to get 17" tires. The third number of the tire description must match the size of the wheel. So you can't put a 17" tire on a 15" wheel. That is the only number you can't change when it comes to tire sizing. A 225/40/17, 215/35/17 will fit a 17" rim, but a 225/40/18, or 215/45/16 will not... See what I'm sayin?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts