Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a honda guy, yes, I know..... but I owned an Integra and I grew to love it... I learned as much possible about it and did everything within my budget to keep it healthy and make it quick, untill the day in which I was in desperate need of cash and was forced to sell it... but at the time my x girlfriend had a MX-6, I grew to love her car aswell, and became more and more interested in tuning one... so at that time we had made plans to build a street legal, but very fast 6, but of course............ we broke up

Whell her car blew a head gasket and she bought a new one, about a year later, (which was yesterday) she called me and told me that her mx-6 just sits outside and that they'd be willing to give it to me, if I promise to fix it... I would love to take that car and be responsible for bringing it back to life, but I have some pretty mad intentions and am not quite shure as to wether or not I should go through with them..... Im thinking heavy engine work, an obese sized turbo system, maybee stage 2 act, and other goodies.... one problem tho..... I don't know crap about this beautiful overly oxidized fire engine red car...

Now, Im NOT asking anyone to give me an online course on Mx-6ology... but I would like to know what works, and what doesn't. Knowing as how many people here love theire cars and im shure they've all experimented... I would like to get The Most, let me type that again, The Most! out of this project becasue I do not want to spend all of that time/money into something that can barley beat Mustang Gt's.... I have bigger things in mind...

I have purchased a brand new block, crank (which came with the block) and left head for the v6 monster I plan to build, I still have another head to get..... intake maniforlds, yes, yes I know go with the kl-ze's... I will spend alot of time researching this particular engine, but any advice whatsoever would be highly appreciated, and or help in that case... I am located in Sacramento,Ca... any locals that would like to give a helping hand are more than welcome.. aww man if this comes out the way I plan it would be over as we know it... Wish me luck guys...

Just for some eye candy, I have attatched a few pics of the spanking brand new engine... be shure that your mouth is completley closed to ensure that your desktop remains drewel-free.... heheee

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Is it automatic? Sorry to hear about you and you chick, that tough ****. You should throw some **** on her before she is dropped into the car (if thats not your plan) cause theres not too much room when shes under the hood. So you got the car for free then? Keep us posted!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car is a 5spd. and Yes, I recieved the car for free.... she had bought a stupid 00' subaru legacy Gt all wheel, lol no don't worry, she won't be helping out with this project... as a matter of fact, I actually had to end our friendship because it was really hard on me just being around her... another down side is that I won't have anyone to split the cost with... whell the up side is that I don't have to share my car with anyone!

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Kanja said:
What kind of Engine is that?
LMAO its a KL03, the same one you've got in your car........

army, if ur going FI check out our FI section. also check out probetalk.com ford probes have the same engine. and imo their site has more technical information. there are a lot more people who have made their cars fast on that site aswell......

as far as the KLZE intake..... IMO since youre going FI dont waste your money. from what ive heard it doesnt show any gains over an 03 intake with FI. if i were you, i would do a custom intake manifold, it doesnt have to have longer runners like a NA engine would. i would just make the intake branch off, from right above the intake ports on the heads. that would even free up some engine space over the right(rear) head. plus, theres plenty of space on the KL03 heads to port match them to larger intake runners. stock internals are good to hold 6-10 psi, with fuel management mods. (FPR, fuel pump, banjo bolt mod, and bigger injectors and fuel lines if you plan on going huge). millenia S interrnals can fit in the block with some mods, i think that theyre 8:1 CR, if ur thinking about getting them you should probally talk to someone like gecko over on probetalk, hes got that setup, though he hasnt put a turbocharger on it yet i dont think. if you want a custom CR you should check out http://www.paeco.com/

hope that helps you...... ;) good luck

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Aussomea said:
LMAO its a KL03, the same one you've got in your car........
I don't have that engine in my car.....
But, I kind of wish I did. God, look at the shine on that thing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey army, wow this sounds cool. Listen, i'm down in the bay area (Sunnyvale) and i'm about to start taking automachanics and am looking to learn everything i can before i go. I would be more then happy to come up and help out in anyway. I know parts of this engine, but would like a chance to get down in the guts of it }) Right now i own a 97 LS v6 5spd. So like i said, i know a few things about the car, but the more the better. E-mail me if your up for it on say a weekend ( [email protected] ), i would be more then happy to dive up and lend a hand.

Dan

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
rylinkus said:
I don't have that engine in my car.....
i wasnt talking to you...... @-

what trouble are you having with your ZE rylinkus?? btw, the blocks are identical arent they? besides the dirt and grease...... :E

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Kanja
What kind of Engine is that?

lol its a Toyota Corolla engine... im doing a conversion.. }) kidding
Im building an engine with all new parts, becasue I would rather the engine not have a 100,000 miles of stress that would come with a used block, head, (ect.) The engine is going to be under enough stress with caused by the FI...

Thank you for informing me not to purchase the kl-ze IM, that was going to be the next thing on my list, I have previously read about the number 6 chamber and how it does not get proper fueling, That is a concern of mine and I will somehow figure out a way to correct this, yes I am aware about the millenia injectors, I was thinking to go with RC's.... let me know what you think of them in regards to this application.

I remember a while back that I could purchase some j-spec cams from mazdaspeed.com, I visited that site recently and did not find any parts for the MX-6?? ......

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
yeah don't buy from mazdaspeed.com anyway. they are WAY overpriced.

There is a company based out of New York (or was when I owned a 6) that did custom race cams for the mx6. I'd see if you can get in touch with them and see what they can do for you. They can grind them anway you want them. Paeco Ind. also makes cams for the mx6.

Stay away from the ZE IM like mentioned above for f/i. Custom make a IM if you want. I think only one person has done this so far... Mici. But i'm not sure.

And by the way... most of the guys who have t/c'ed their car have hung with and beaten 99+ Mustangs... well not mine :D. But you will be able to beat stock and mildly modded Stangs... heavy modded Stangs will still wipe the floor with you.

By the way.. stock internals on the mx6 can handle up to 400hp before going bye-bye... you might wanna look at forged parts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I've already checked Paeco Ind. out, they pretty much do it all as far as custom cams, rods, and pistons... the titanium rods go for about $500 each! ouch!:E

It won't be a question as to wether or not I should be able to beat Gt's.. lol I am not going to be spending all of that money on a strong motor so that I can boost at a low PSI... Im building a MX-6 because I love the car, not becasue that the only thing I have to work with... i have a $35,000 jeep that i drive on a daily basis, if you honestly believe that I will only be able to keep up with GT's after completing this project, whell then my friend to you my project is completley pointless and a waste of time and money... but it's not... I believe that if done right, our cars will be on another level respect wise...

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Aussomea said:
i wasnt talking to you...... @-

what trouble are you having with your ZE rylinkus?? btw, the blocks are identical arent they? besides the dirt and grease...... :E
Long story short I have no idea right now. It stopped starting.... Didn't seem to be getting enough fuel. Fuel cutoff light had been on since the engine was in, but it ran fine. Just sluggish starts. I suspected the fuel pump was going.

Got a fuel pressure gauge. Hooked it up. Decided to try and start it once before jumping the FP on. Damn thing fired right up. Fuel cutoff light is gone. Starts right up every time now except for once that require too much cranking. But my A/F now dips more towards the lean end of the spectrum when the car warms up. So maybe my fuel pump heats up and stops being able to supply fuel as well. Or maybe it's something else :shrug: I need to get a full time fuel pressure gauge hooked up so I can see if I still have decent fuel pressure when my AF readings go amuck.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
the titanium rods go for about $500 each
save your self some money and find a millenia S they have forged rods ment to handle some boost (stock supercharger runs about 22psi, and before i get flamed i understand the differences of the miller engine, but 22psi on the internals is still 22psi, they can take some abuse)

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
armyrectuit said:
It won't be a question as to wether or not I should be able to beat Gt's.. lol I am not going to be spending all of that money on a strong motor so that I can boost at a low PSI... Im building a MX-6 because I love the car, not becasue that the only thing I have to work with... i have a $35,000 jeep that i drive on a daily basis, if you honestly believe that I will only be able to keep up with GT's after completing this project, whell then my friend to you my project is completley pointless and a waste of time and money... but it's not... I believe that if done right, our cars will be on another level respect wise...
i'm not trying to insult your project or make you feel as if your project is pointless.

I was pointing out that the mx6 is maybe not the best car for the afore mentioned project. The mx6 will ave huge traction issues past 300hp. FWD is not the best setup for racing... period. There is no way around that.

The entire drivetrain on an mx6 is not setup for that type of hp. I don't care if you have a 600hp mx6, the vehicle will not withstand that type of stress. The frame will warp under the torque, and the torque steer you will get will be out of this world.

If you try to do a RWD conversion (something done on pro-drag class events... i think maybe 3 mx6s with rotaries in them... pretty much no longer an mx6) have done so. You are looking at a lot of custom fab work and cutting/welding. Probably 20grand with ease.

You'll crack the mx6 in two running at such high boost... how much psi do you want to run? Like 25 or 30? And why do you want an oversized turbo? That doesn't make sense. A T88 on a car like the mx6 does not make sense... it will NEVER spool unless you have nitrous. And even then it will take a while.

I think you would be better off blueprinting the motor, and getting it custom done (50grand if done well).

I'm sorry if I have offended you in anyway, but I have been a member of this board for over 3years now, and have seen many ppl with high hopes and huge dreams for their six. I think maybe only 7 of those 1000 people have come through with them.

FEW persons I have read about with plans like yours ALWAYS either change their mind after they get into it, or they just flat out realize the cost of what they want is too much.

Best of luck, and if there is anyway I can help let me know. I am an engine controls guru.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol When I said Obese, I ment the burley, beefy if you will, the relative term... yeh bud I am aware that it's a major disadvantage because of the 6 being a fwd.. I am not building a Dragster... please don't confuse this project... honestly we are hoping for low 12's.. I certainly hope that it wouldn't cost $50 g's in order to acoplish that..

Also building the motor ain't half the battle.. we still need to focus on the tranny, and reinforcing of the frame... It wont be built over night, but we'll just have to wait and see the time slips..

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
armyrectuit said:
lol When I said Obese, I ment the burley, beefy if you will, the relative term... yeh bud I am aware that it's a major disadvantage because of the 6 being a fwd.. I am not building a Dragster... please don't confuse this project... honestly we are hoping for low 12's.. I certainly hope that it wouldn't cost $50 g's in order to acoplish that..

Also building the motor ain't half the battle.. we still need to focus on the tranny, and reinforcing of the frame... It wont be built over night, but we'll just have to wait and see the time slips..
StreetthisMX6 has a all motor 6 in the mid 13 second range. With the new engine he's rebuilding he hopes for mid 12s all motor. There's some pics and such over at PT.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
rylinkus said:
StreetthisMX6 has a all motor 6 in the mid 13 second range. With the new engine he's rebuilding he hopes for mid 12s all motor. There's some pics and such over at PT.
hah i was just going to bring him up...... ive seen his car, and him run a 13.6, all i can say is WOW his best time with that motor was 13.5 and that was with KL03 heads, valves, and internals......

gecko's car ran a 14.8 with millenia s internals and i/h/e..... not a bad setup, he still plans for FI....

both of those runs were with chris (streetthis) driving, hes good..... if i remember correctly the best luke(gecko) could get his own car to run that night was a 15.1

low 12's with FI shouldnt be out of reach, but like you said you will need to beef up the drivetrain, im not sure on this but i think i remember rafi saying that they were going to have 400hp rated axles on rr-racing.com in the not too distant future.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Aussomea said:

both of those runs were with chris (streetthis) driving, hes good..... if i remember correctly the best luke(gecko) could get his own car to run that night was a 15.1

Yeah, credit where credits due, Chris can friggin drive. I honestly wish I had him around here. I'd love to see my car pull better times at the track.

:idea: New Mod: Chris driving my car.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts