Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

When do I replace timing belt?!?!

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  dig_dug_mx6 
G
#1 ·
Hey Guys...I've been worried about changing my timing belt...I drive a 94 5spd v6, and I have a little over 71k miles on it....when have you all replaced yours? has anyone's ever snapped, and at what mileage? can it cause damage if I don't take care of it before it snaps?? I'm not exactly rolling in the dough right now, so I was hoping I could put it off, just wanted to know what to expect...and if it's a serious risk to not replace it at my current mileage, I will find a way to....Any help appreciated...Thanks!

#2 ·
Not too sure when is the best time to change them but I changed my mine at 30K because the car had been off the road for almost 2years and it was suggested that I do it just be to safe.

The belt when taken off was like brand new. I was also told that if they snap on our car that no damage is done because of the way things are design and that was from a Mazda main dealer mechanic.

#3 ·
Our engines are non-interferance, which means no bent valves, etc. if the belt breaks. You will just be stranded. They are supposed to be replace at 70K miles, but I know of some people who are over 100K and still on the original belt. If you do replace it, take care of the water pump at the same time as they have issues too, and you will be right there.

#6 ·
I actully just had mine done under a recall since it's a 97. I have a 97 2.0 with 47,000 and the tension spring broke on me. Lucky no damage and my timing just jumped a notch or two. I almost had it done myself up to the crank pully bolt. i couldn't get it out and that is when I called a dealer for a tip and they said they would do for free. So I put it back together and sent her away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.