Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I cant seem to find a place to drill a hole through the firewall for my +batter cable for the amps? Can anyone help. I didnt have a problem with my i4 but i got the v6 now and dont know where to do it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I did not drill a hole to run the positive wire for my amps. Instead, I ran the positive wire under the carpet from the trunk to the firewall directly under the steering wheel. There are already a few wires running from the inside of the car into the engine bay under the steering wheel. You should be able to squeeze the positive wire through an existing hole and run it directly to the battery or to a positive terminal on the fuse box - both are located on the left hand side.

Take off the scruff plate on the drivers side and you'll see that you can run wires through there going to the front of the car.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
I also did that, run them under the scruff plate, they fit nice down in there, and then right behind the clutch pedal, (if its a manual). I think it may be the air bag wires but im not sure, there is a hole that they run through with a grommet on there already. I just took out the grommet and cut a lil bit of it out, but not to much because you want it to remain tight, and slipped it back on. It works great, and i also found it hard to drill a hole through the firewall just for the power wire.
Ken

·
Registered
344 Posts
Don't do any of those. There is a proper way to do it.

Underneith you dash on the passenger side there is a rubber gromet the goes threw the firewall. Run it threw there, you have to use a coat hanger or somthing the will just puncture it but not cut it. To find it lay the passenger foot well and look up under the dash, there are already some wires going threw there. also this way it is still sealed off from the engine compartment.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well beings that my battery is on the left side of the six and my amp is mounted on my left back seat it didnt make any sense to run it through the passenger side of the car and use up that much more wire. Its up to you, any of the ways mentioned earlier were work fine. As long as you get it through there and seal it off to keep out water or whatever you'll be fine.
Ken

·
Registered
305 Posts
Courtice6er said:
Don't do any of those. There is a proper way to do it.

Underneith you dash on the passenger side there is a rubber gromet the goes threw the firewall. Run it threw there, you have to use a coat hanger or somthing the will just puncture it but not cut it. To find it lay the passenger foot well and look up under the dash, there are already some wires going threw there. also this way it is still sealed off from the engine compartment.
Umm no. I’m going to have to respectfully disagree with that being the “proper” way. Like Mx6HOSS noted, the battery on the six is located on the drivers side of the car and assuming that the amp is being mounted in the trunk; it is more straight forward to run the wire on the left side of the car where you’ll reap the benefits of a shorter wire and a relatively straight feed to the positive battery terminal or the positive terminal on the fuse box (also located on the LEFT side). There is also a rubber grommet on the left side where you can snake the power wire through there into the engine compartment.

Generically speaking, it all depends which side of the car you will run the speaker wires; as you never want to run both the power wire and speaker wires on the same side. Needless to say, there is no one “proper” way to run the power wire since this is contingent upon a number of things that mostly revolve around convenience and where the amp or amps are located.

·
Registered
355 Posts
heh

Ran power from battery through same hole the AC drip hose comes through the firewall. Worked fine

Also ran everything together down the middle of the car.

Quick and dirty,, but it worked.

but,, if your going to put the effort into it,, do it right.

G

·
running power wire through firewall

Ok, I just got done running a zero gauge wire to the trunk for another battery and i found a rubber garmet about 2"x2 1/2" big
on the driverside. When looking at the engine from the front it was just right of the master brake cylinder towards the top of the firewall.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts