Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen some on EBay for $250 used, but something tells me to stay away from someones B16 swapped hybrid turbo ghetto rigged electric boost controller. Even if it saves me $100, the hassle of getting something that is missing sensors and or has clipped wires or just USED in general. I get a better feeling knowing that something is new, and for $300-$400, I've gotten my monies worth:shrug:

so where is a good place to buy, either online or not, and which series and or models? Is there a big difference between the Profec A and B? and what about the numbers I am seeing? Profec B II, whats that all about?

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
the only different from profec a/b is profec a has a boost crabbler,and it had a 3 inlet solenoid,while the b has 2,also the b is easy to install.i just sold my extra profec b yesterday,i paid $320 for it.
also the new profec b spec 2 is cheaper than the regular now,I think it sell for $320.its just all different looks,also the new spec 2 comes with small boost selonoid which is likely to boost creep.,.if you want a good boost controller get a profec b(regular)not the new one.or get an hks evc.

note,im selling my hks evc if you intereted.$220 shipped

·
Registered
581 Posts
I BOUGHT MINE ON EBAY.. brand new.. 290 shipped..

I'VE OWNED BOTH.. SPEC I AND II AND I PREFER THE II

it does have a smaller solinode but it doesn t effect nothing..

it can adjust for boost creep same as the spec I

spec II also has features for over boost.. if you set your limits on it and the boost goes over it will lower it to the set boost..

and it will also blink like crazy if you over boost to let you know!

also has a digital boost guage..

:cool:

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
SixSick6 said:
can you list the pro's and con's of the Greddy vs the HKS? Which are you happier with?
the evc are one of the best unit out there.whatever you do,dont get the blitz sbc,,thats a garbage.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I just got my Profec B spec II yesterday from directdiscounts on Ebay the price was $276+$5 insurance + $10 shipping. So, $291. I spent two weeks looking at electronic boost controllers before I bought this one.

The difference from the PRofec A + B is that the A has "fuzzy logic" which is supposed to allow it to learn the best way to control your car's boost. I've read reviews and the B was still preferred. That's probably why you can find A's cheaper than B's on ebay even though the A is the "bells and whistles" model. Also SCC has a good comparison (with dyno graphs) between the various brands. The PRofec B and one of theBlitz(SBC -I think) Did the best.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
SixSick6 said:
do you still have all of the parts for the HKS? all the adaptors and the wiring for the ECU?
yes.
if you wondering,this is the same boost controller in manifest hard in his 1st gen mx6gt at the mm6.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
turbogt22 said:

Also SCC has a good comparison (with dyno graphs) between the various brands. The PRofec B and one of theBlitz(SBC -I think) Did the best.
they did a comparison on the dsbc(blitz) which is dual solenoid boost controller.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i myself would recomend the Profec B Spec II. yes the soleinoid is small, but i have yet to encounter any problems with creep or spike. i have put this thing on 16 psi, adjusted the gain and start boost correctly, and pulled steady 16 psi up a hill in 5th gear on a 40oF night. the limiter feature is awsome, it almost instantly lowers the boost if it does decide to spike. and you can get the remote switching system, so you can switch from hi/lo boost from the steering wheel. this is also a 3-port soleinoid. and is rated to 43psi (300kPa). for $300 or less shipped, i don't think you can beat it for all the funtionality.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The one thing i've always hated to buy used is electronics. I sell the profec B spec 2 brand new for 280 shipped (continental US only). If anyone is interested pm me or e-mail me at [email protected].

1 - 12 of 12 Posts