Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dudes,

New quandary for the six.

More coolant is leaking and I have tracked down its source but have no idea what it would be leaking out of. I have taken a couple of pics of the spot where it is dripping but they may be hard to decipher where they are. My best description is, straight down from the top of the timing belt assembly.

If you were looking from the front of the car. It is the engine side of the wheel arch about the top of the wheel height on the drivers side.

When under the car, looking up you will see a gap between the wheel arch guard and a couple of the timing belts.

On closer inspection, coolant leaks from a seam of the belt assembly case. The origin of the leak I am unsure of but this seam of the casing is the the closest point I can see where the coolant is coming from.

Assumptions:

It is definately not coming from the air-con condensor.
It is dripping continually even when the car is turned off. (Frequency, drip every 2 seconds)
Apart from that, as I can not see any hoses from where I was looking, I am not sure what has split or what has broken. Any advice on this quandary would be appreciated.

Shaun.

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
Your water pump is dying.

Its located behind those covers and is about halfway down.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks craig,

i am starting to realise that from searching through different forums. What happens when it completely dies and when it fails, what will be the first sign of failure as I do not wish to drive the car if it is going to do irreversible damage to other important componets.

As of this stage, it is only dripping but thats just when it is idle, I would imagine it would stream out when driving. Would $250 plus labour sound a fair price for replacement?

Is there any way to ease the car around without making it worse? As a mechanic will be hard to find over this holiday period, I may still need to drive it but is there a "best" way to limit more damage.

Shaun.

·
Registered
304 Posts
i'm not sure if it will help because its your water pump but.. You could try having your radiator cap one "click" from done up. This keeps less pressure in your cooling system so your motor will run a little warmer however it may lessen the leak if you have a split hose. But seeing as its your waterpump i guess this probably wont help too much.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
thats where i had coolant when my water pump farked itself. almost definately the water pump. $250 from repco including timing belt.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I did this about 2 weeks ago, $187 from repco seeing as my timing belt was already new. Took me about 3-4 hours. Not a hard job at all.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
i'm not sure if it will help because its your water pump but.. You could try having your radiator cap one "click" from done up. This keeps less pressure in your cooling system so your motor will run a little warmer however it may lessen the leak if you have a split hose. But seeing as its your waterpump i guess this probably wont help too much.
that is what i done to get the car to the mexhanic. certainly not a long term fix. but it will allow the leak to leak slower. keep a water bottle in the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts