Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking into the study abroad program my campus here offers, and looking at the three places in Australia. Our school has programs with schools in Sydney, Perth, and Melbourne. I'm basically just looking to see which one you guys would recommend going to? The one in Melbourne offers engineering, which is my major, but that won't be extremely important to me.

edit* I just noticed a lot more cities I can go to...pretty much all along the coast :
Adelaide
Hobart
Launceston
Wollongong
Canberra
Lismore
Brisbane
Townsville
Cairnes

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Melbourne is cold and rainy.

Sydney is busy and very hectic.

Perth is relaxed and has pretty good weather, but in the middle of nowhere. So you can't visit Sydney, Melbourne, Gold Coast etc.

But personally, I say you should go to Brisbane. Relaxed and easy going city, with near perfect weather. 20,000 people move here every month from interstate... those numbers can't lie. Only an hour from the gold coast and sunshine coast. Driving distance to Sydney....

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Those in favour of Brisbane raise your hand
:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Those against.................

·
Registered
511 Posts
NAY!

Come to sydney man, always somthing to do, places to see and its in between melbourne and brisbane about 10 hr drive each way.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Anywhere in Queensland is a good move, particually south. you cant go past the beaches and the babes, oh yeh and the cars are good to! Sydney is also nice.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Brisbane.
Its a decent size, with nice weather, the gold coast is near by with good beaches. Better women too from what I have seen :)

DONT bother with townsville and cairns. I live in townsville. The population of both is about 150 000 people. The weather is always nice, expect 300+ days a year of sunshine, probably close to 330 this year!

The problem though is that there isnt that much to do. You can go out and see the barrier reef and surrounding islands etc, but thats it. There are no motorsport facilities, you cant swim at most the beaches from novermber to april due to stingers (dont get this problem further south). There isnt much to do on a weekend other than drink and go out to the clubs.

That said everything is pretty laid back and lazy if thats your thing, its just boring for most of the year.

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
timtx5 said:
Brisbane.
Its a decent size, with nice weather, the gold coast is near by with good beaches. Better women too from what I have seen :)

DONT bother with townsville and cairns. I live in townsville. The population of both is about 150 000 people. The weather is always nice, expect 300+ days a year of sunshine, probably close to 330 this year!

The problem though is that there isnt that much to do. You can go out and see the barrier reef and surrounding islands etc, but thats it. There are no motorsport facilities, you cant swim at most the beaches from novermber to april due to stingers (dont get this problem further south). There isnt much to do on a weekend other than drink and go out to the clubs.

That said everything is pretty laid back and lazy if thats your thing, its just boring for most of the year.

That actually sounds just about perfect for me. That's really all there is to do at the town I'm in now. I'm more a less a laid back person, so I'd probably love it in a place like that. I think my options are either Feb-June or Jul-Nov...but I'm not sure about the dates. Wherever I end up choosing, it won't be until at least the end of 2004, I'm just trying to get some early research in.:)

·
Registered
454 Posts
I reckon the more important factor is:

What universities are you interested in, and how are you going to manage your fundings etc... Reason I ask is that some places may be cheaper to live than others.

I may be able to help you out on the universities front as I had to do a hell of a lot of research for my ex. Do you have any universities in mind and something else that's important is.... what course do you want to do and which universities offer it.

Just thought I'd bring this perspective into view. It may not matter much to you as you said, but my understanding is that if you are an exchange student, you have to achieve a certain average in order to continue your studies. So i guess you'd want to choose a course that you'd like as well as a venue where you can kick back and enjoy.

Regards

Zako

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Unless the school has engineering courses, I just plan on filling my elective requirements there, and maybe some math if I'm not done with it by the time I go.

I'm basically looking for electives in the humanities area, and maybe Philosophy. This is way before I'll actually be going, I'm just trying to get an idea of what the different areas are like, then look at the universities that are in places I like.

p.s. Why are different things highlighted that take me to different school pages..that's kind of weird, but it is handy.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I would say most the uni's do have engineering courses.

Even the one here does. Its a comparitely small uni compared to the others around.

I would do it hey, as coming to the country as a whole. Its not a bad place, and probably a little different to what you are used to.

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
not to mention you all have the rhd mx6's:D

with the ZE:D :D

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
whoops..well, there's still right hand drive. That would be really weird for me. Well, you get the good lights instead of our crap ones over here.

·
Registered
91 Posts
dude

Im gonna put in a vote for adelaide its close to melbourne etc... alot of people say its boring but weed is legal here so most people dont notice... heheheheheh
and for someone from over seas... our public transport system is better than anywhere in the country you can get from outskirt suburbs (at least a 35 minute drive from city centre) to the city in 20 mins or less ( we have buses that go on train tracks:confused: , lets see U melbourne bastards steal them, just kidding) and its hard to get lost it really is a great city and coopers is brilliant beer

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Well I think all OF AUSTRALIA is great.

Queensland or Brisbane is nice CHICKS - CARS but you have to stay fairly close to public transport, but if your in brisbane it's good. Best Rail network in the country.

Melbourne more of a Euro feel- similar to Seattle I would say.
Heaps of trams if you can live near a line. A bit cold but that imte of year.

Sydney I call it a mix of LA- city style = noisey busy with a Dallas style approch to life.

Perth Proberly the niceest place in Aus, I've never heard a bad thing about Perth, that you can't say abotu every other city in the world.

Don't worry about ZE's once you see all the Jap imports you never see and probelry some Aussie modern muscle Cars you will forget about the ZE and Mx-6's for a bit and try searching for
Mx-6s.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
1 vote for melb

swinburnes were ya wanna go!

or melb uni

but the real reason ya wanna come to melb

"jeff mills" call melb 'i qutoe' techo city of the world!!

andy
:p

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Come to Newcastle, you'd love it here, not too busy, cheap to insure cars, big uni here which probably has your course (University of Newcastle). Cheap to live here, 15 mins to surf beaches and the foreshore, where all the hotted up cars lap etc :) About 2hrs above Sydney. We even have an airport lol

·
Registered
886 Posts
Mavric03 said:
whoops..well, there's still right hand drive. That would be really weird for me. Well, you get the good lights instead of our crap ones over here.
That's right, no ZEs, but we have E Spec headights and four wheel steering ! :)

If you have experienced Texas, then I'm sure you'll feel right at home in Queensland ! :p :D

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Yea… don’t come to Perth we have enough yanks over here when the US ships dock for shore leave..:D

The University of WA has a good rep. and is a very nice place to study..
And the Notradam uni is kind of cruzy 2..
The cost of living in WA would be less than in most other states for a student @ least.
Good luck with your decision..

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Well heres a vote for Hobart. We actually have a really big Uni down here. Great place!! And I would show Ya round?? ;)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts