Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can get HLA's cheaper than dealer price? I've searched the boards, but the few sources mentioned have been so old that the links are dead.

·
Banned
67 Posts
Depends on your motive. Rebuilding heads is no walk in the park and will likely involve a trip to the machine shop. Perhaps you should contact all the shops within 50 miles of you and get quotes for the parts and the work. More than likely with the wear that your engine has experienced it will be necessary for a crafted machinist to rebuild your heads rather than just insert a couple new lifters.

Are you certain that it isn't your cam friction gear making noise? My MXV6 lived to 180,000 miles with no real HLA noise to speak of. When I had noise, it was oil related and/or friction gear.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Before you blow the budget. Go to www.auto-rx.com Buy 2 bottles for around $60 and treat the engine over the next 1500 miles and see if it does not slowly clean out all the sludge and stop your noise. This stuff is terrific, I have used it in 4 cars.

·
Registered
357 Posts
clutchless said:
Before you blow the budget. Go to www.auto-rx.com Buy 2 bottles for around $60 and treat the engine over the next 1500 miles and see if it does not slowly clean out all the sludge and stop your noise. This stuff is terrific, I have used it in 4 cars.
seems kinda expensive for something that no one i know or trust has ever used...

2 bottles for $60 is quite expensive... for something that isn't assured to work...

·
Registered
452 Posts
Do a search on auto-rx and you will find many threads commentinng on it and several members have used it with positive results. Here is the search results link http://www.mx6.com/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=339628&sortby=&sortorder=
Did you read the web page for auto-rx? I have used it and it made my lifters much quieter and increased power. Others have had similar results. It is a slow flush that deep cleans inside the HLA's as a quick flush can only get the surface dirt. HLA's have very little and slow oil flow, thus are difficult to clean, which is why a 5 minute flush has mixed results. However, auto-rx which cleans over 1500 miles, has plenty of time to strip away layers of dirt and gunk, and dissolve them into a liquified mess that comes out with your oil. It also frees up sticking rings. Check www.bobistheoilguy.com forums for more comments. A cheap price to possibly avoid spending $1000 or more for lifters, valves etc....

·
Registered
787 Posts
I'm running AutoRx in my 6 right now, as well as 4 other vehicles. I'm just about done with the 1500 mile "wash" , soon to start the 2000 mile rinse. Within 100 miles my lifters quieted down substantially. This is probably not usual, but it's true. My car has been on a diet of Mobil 1 since birth for 70K miles, and evidently either Mobil 1 isnt all that clean, or sludge just happens anyway.
Dont blow off AutoRx. You dont need to take my word, but check out those two websites.
;)
And no, I am in no way connected with either web site or the company.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts