Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We really do need to decide as a group on the direction we are heading. There was very little discussion in Canberra about this as everyone was flat out having a good time (or waiting for lunch eh Steve?).

Do we Want to be Official??

I would think that the consensus is that we don't want to go through the hassle and cost of being Cams affiliated. Am I on the right track here?? Let me know if you disagree.

That leaves the following choices:

1. a chapter of another "open" club - under which we could "cruise" and go to track meets etc under their liability insurance etc.

2. a non affiliated non anything club - operating under "convoy-rules" for cruises. My advice is that this is sufficient for cruises and street meets.

Who is our Target Member??

1. 1st gen mx6
2. 2nd gen mx6
3. 2nd gen mx6 and probes
4. all mx6s
5. all mx6s and probes
6. all mx6s and related cars (626, tx5, probe)

The Probes

The Probe community appears to be in a pretty terrible mess at the moment with a couple of factions with different agendas. This should probably all reach a head and be sorted out to some degree in a couple of months. Depending on what happens, the probe question may be irrelevant, as it would appear that one faction is looking for "probe only" type arrangement.

All this being said, without the Probes it would have been a national summit of a grand total of 4 cars! The average meet would also be a LOT smaller.

What if we had a club and the Probes had their own club

This could work. We each promote and "tag" for our own clubs, yet get together for things like the summit, cruises, meets etc where appropriate.

Let's discuss this then put it to a poll.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi Ric, welcome home. It was a pleasure to meet you and young Dougie. He's a great boy.

Anyway - You know my feelings re: car type membership.

I think that "a" club, and it doesn't necessarily have to be this forum, should be specifically for MX6's series one and two.

One reason that there were only the five MX6's at
THE PROBE /mx6 summit was exactly due to the point that it was essentially a Probe meet plus us.

We merely spoiled the Probe photographs. (But enjoyed it all I hasten to add.

There are many more 6's than Probes in the country so there no reason we can't do it equally well. Without necessarily hi - jacking your site here.

All the best

4WSB

G

·
Enjoyed your company during the summit even though it was only for a brief period of time. :(

Unfortunately this merger between the MX6 and Probe has created more headaches than it has solved in my opinion.
Im sure we all know what these are by now.

Im certainly in favour of rics final paragraph and believe that it is the most beneficial direction that both our clubs should take.
Cheers from a prober!

What if we had a club and the Probes had their own club

This could work. We each promote and "tag" for our own clubs, yet get together for things like the summit, cruises, meets etc where appropriate.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Point1)

Ric.

It seems to me that it would be an optional benefit to some to have the capability to go to track meets etc.

It also seems that the best current option is to go with your point 1), ie form a chapter of an existing club.
?MX5

If things change we can change later?

P.S.
Sorry I was snappy earlier Voo Doo - we misunderstood each other.

4WSB :cool:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
It's all good.

At the moment there just simply not enough MX6ers to start a club.

BTW. I've now got my exhaust on.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My two cents

Well, I've actually been thinking about joining a car club for a while now, what I really want to get involved in is some sort of road racing, autocross, with track days, and stuff like that.

As I have a 1st Gen 626, I wouldn't join a Mx-6/Probe club, I'd feel out of place in a club full of 2nd Gen Mx-6es and Probes.

I would join a Mx-6/626/Probe/Telstar/Tx-5 club, or even a Mazda or Mazda/Ford club

I'm really more interested in 1st Gen Mx-6/626/Tx-5s as they are so mechanically similar to my car.

I really like mx6.com and having the 1st and 2nd Gen cars split apart, but I don't know if that would work for a real life club.

Frankly I'd be a bit disappointed if you ruled out Telstars and Tx-5s as I'd feel that included me as well, which is fair enough really. In that case I'd join a more local club for track stuff.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Hmm it seems like it is a bit of an issue with regards to clubs.

Silver you say there isnt enough members to start a club. But with regards to all clubs they dont start with a huge number of people, they all start with small numbers, they promote themselves to the point of prostituting their club name to let everyone know of their existance and the numbers grow.

In theory a club is created with 1 or more members and we have covered that part, now if we all chipped in and promoted a club the numbers would grow.

As for the type of club, well it seems we need an MX6 club no offence to Probers but after being a member of these Probe clubs for a while we are treated as the enemy as such, our only association is the mechanics. How many people out in the real world know the insides of a Probe & MX6 are pretty much the same? (not many) its all cosmetic....

Speaking of the Cosmetics, we do own a better looking vehicle!!

Now 1st & 2nd Gens need to unite, we should create this sort of club first see how we go and if we need to in the future we could introduce Probers in it.

Other club members like TX5, 626, owners etc I dont have a problem with, and we cant turn around and say they belong neither here nor there, they are 1st Gen mutants and well if you feel we should have all walks of life in a club, not Just Mazda MX6 owners then well we have it.

I know ide really like to see an MX6 Australian Club.

I think a few potential members of mx6.com dont join because they see it as a US based club, not many even scroll down the page to notice there is a Australian Forum in this place.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Being a TX5 owner, I obvoiusly hope that a club can include the 626/TX5 cars as well.

BUT.. the MX6/626/TX5/Probe club sounds silly, as, quite frankly the 1st Gen TX5 is a totally different car in most respects to the 2nd Gen MX6.

Some other clubs for for engine types, like the rotary clubs. It doesn't matter if you have a Gemini with a 13B or an R100 with a 10A, you are included.

But still, my engine is totally unrelated the the KL 2.5 V6 :(

very confusing, but in the end, I could understand if a "Mx6 only" club was formed. It does make sense.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
wow......its seems i have started something crasy, maybe not.....

here is my idea.....it unites all under the same club, yet separetes all.....

........................................................................................................
............................Good name club name (EG, MazFord).......................
..............................................|........................................................................
..............................__________|___________.....................................
..............................|.................................|........................................
.........................Probes(AUSPOC)...........Mx6(and alike i hope :))......
.....................................................................|....................................
...........................................................______|_______......................
...........................................................|....................|........................
......................................................Gen 1s.................Gen 2s.................
........................................................................................................
(sorry had to use dots, it was ignoring spases)

i separeted gen1s and 2s as the cars have almost nothing in common exept a badge.

each leg of the club could meet separetly and together.......

while the flyers should say something along the lines:

"join Probe club, Part of MazFord club"

this way we yet all together, but everyone has their own little corner........

well thats my thoughts anyway........(hhhmmm should i realy reply to stuff like this.... i mean i didn't make a GOOD impression on anyone las meet.....well exept the dirt heap i mowed down :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
looks like your lovely tree diagram got mashed by the "trim" feature of the board - removing redundant white-space. :(

Your comments are indeed worthwhile and respected BF! ;)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
MazFord name is already registered in NSW for a Mazda/Ford wreckers.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
same story in victoria....it just sound cool so i put it there :)

i was wondering does anyone know project names for mx6 and/or probe???? i mean the prototype names

G

·
geeez club names....

ProbeEx6? i dunno...and before everyone rips me for that - u try thinkin of something :)

Formaz - that isnt taken i think - theres a business called Per4mance

come on people - we need some ideas :)

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, so far we appear to have consensus on:
  • a non-CAMS affiliated club that is a "chapter" of another club
  • we pick a CAMS affiliated club so we can take part in track days, autocross etc. (eg. PIARC, MSCC, MX-5 etc)
  • various groups may form at times within the club without prejudice (ie. 1st Gens may have their own cruise without feeling bad about it)
  • we get together with related clubs for meets if we want, to bolster numbers and share technology and existing relationships (eg. Probers but could be others as well)
  • we will not be "part" of AUSPOC

We may need to go to the vote on:
  • membership is solely for MX-6s
  • membership is focussed on MX-6's but is open to all MX-6 derivatives (Probe, TX5, 626)
  • membership is open to all

Other things we can sort out down the track are:
  • name - "mx6 club of australia" has a certain ring to it!
  • flyers
  • publicity - eg unique cars, Mazda dealers/service centres, motor mags
  • making a calendar 6-12 months in advance like most clubs!
  • our forum (do we need a backup forum if mx6.com falls over again? We should be able to get one on aus-cartalk no problem if we need it)

One other thing I should mention is that it's really important that we try extra hard to maintain this level of co-operation. I've seen a lot of crap flying around in the Probe scene recently and really want to avoid that for us.

Let's keep giving each other the benefit of the doubt and keep moving forward. I'm all for a democratically run club and at times we'll need someone to take a hold of something and run with it. I believe that each of us should get the opportunity to help run the club in this way. Chris getting hold of Mazda and starting to put together stats on the MX-6s in Australia is a good example of ths in action.

}) Onward!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Lets just say the support is here, Im all for anything positive.

What ever works for the majority seems to be the best way to handle things.

Yes Ric, getting along and accepting everyones input and opinion is what we seem to have a good grasp of unlike AUSPOC etc. I think all our indipendance and input and stupidity is what makes us all get along...

B.F. your suggestion seems to have a good flow about it. Subsections where smaller clubs/divisions of 1 large club is a good idea.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I agree wuth all your points Ric. And I guess a poll on the model breakup is necessary.

You all know my feelings on make/model i.e. I believe Gen1 and 2 MX6 only, with strong affiliation with relatives.

I absolutely agree with the necessary "cool" attitude of contributors/members.

We need absolutely no abuse/language/attitude/aggro problems that can occurr elsewhere (and I'm no prude).

We will learn and live with STRONG moderation should this ever God-Forbid occur.

Good Effort.

Regards
4WSB

G

·
This was originally posted in another topic. When I got here, I thought "D'oh!" and quickly cut/pasted.

You know, I gotta agree with 4WSB - and it's got nothing to do with anything other than 'purity'. I'd like to make a distinction between 'club membership' and 'meets'. OK, we generally share common mechanicals and there are advantages over sharing information and knowledge - but let's face it, we each chose our preferred 'ride' for a reason. We've all gone looking for others who feel the same way for a reason.

It doesn't matter how much I like MX-6 cars, the reality is that I own a Ford Probe. Therefore I belong in a Probe club. I like to see a whole bunch of them together in one place. It validates my decision in a way. "Hey, I'm not the only one".

I met some great '6' owners recently - and I'd like to keep in contact with them for a number of reasons. There's no stopping us getting together at meets etc. That's a different thing as far as I'm concerned.

It's about the 'concentration' rather than 'dilution' of the make/model. I completely understand the MX-5 point of view. In fact I aplaud their decision. Don't forget that we are constantly looking for new people to join us. Our biggest attraction will be that we all have 'exactly' the same car. Let them find out then about all the other great groups we talk to. Nothing sounds more wishy-washy than the stringing together of the various model names OR a hybrid/conglomerate of the lot which is equally meaningless.

Our 'mutual admiration' can continue to benefit all by the continuation of MX-6/Probe tagging by all. I think a lot of people will feel more like they 'belong' if we do much the same as we already are, but recognise and respect the differences between us.

'Meets/Summits/BBQ's/Social Activities' are a different story. I don't think that any of us would have a problem with 2 or more clubs getting together for an activity.

Regarding the AusPOC issues - I guess we'll have to get back to what is really important.

Well, as usual - my post has been short and to the point

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
i still feel we should have one Club as such, but diferent strings of it...... AFTERALL probe is a mazda ;). PLUS as one club, our numbers will be greater and that could help finantialy( i mean insurance wise etc....which club would be aplauded 15 people or 50 people?) and image wise. this way our club will be partnership between probes and mx6s.

i do respect the Miata people for their purity, but how would it be bad to them to have a string for Familias??? same family engines, and similar size etc. it doesn't mean that they HAVE to be together all the time, and it will increase their number(though i hardly belive that is realy needed)......

the only thing i could see with the partnership is that both sides might want to take club into diferent directions, but that could hapen with in 'one model' club too....

there is not many of us, those who care about the cars, (f i would be given 10 bux evry time i talk to Mx6 owner an they tell me "i love the car, but im not intrested in cars realy" i could get my baby repared without any insuranse :mad: hassles. the number of those who cares is low, but if we go our separate ways the nuber will deminish in BOTH clubs

anyway if you got to here< and understood my spellingXO i thank you....... thats the way i see/feel things are now

·
Registered
233 Posts
I understand your sentiments Fred, I guess personally I'm looking for a pure MX6 "club".

Homer expresses this inclination very well above.

There is the very strong Auspoc/Probetalk group and the loss? of 4 or 5 MX6's is no biggie - look at the ratio in Canberra 14 - 5.

I say loss? because it does't mean we stop posting necessarily unless that forum becomes Probe only and I wouldn't blame them if they did.

As I've said b4 - we just f**ck up their photographs.
(in the nicest possible way):)
4WSB

BTW. I estimate 60 "taggings" on auscartalk and two resulting posts.

Dissapointing but I guess its the only way?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts